[tcb] bus find

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

OK, a little more on the bus find:  Being in Hot VWs brings good things
sometimes.  Had 2 different people approach me over the weekend about potential
busses because they had seen the article.  Took a 125 mile detour from coming
home yesterday after Ennis to go see one of them.  What I found was a 61 double
door, swivel seat panel van.  Almost no rust anywhere, only the battery tray
and some fairly minor holes on the drivers floor.  Both easy fixes.  No rust in
the rockers, perfect panel doors (even on the bottom) and all the channels in
the body where the cargo doors fasten on the bottom.  No rust in doglegs
anywhere.  A really solid bus.  All the parts are there with a few minor
exceptions.  Even has the funky little do dad stream lining devices on the
hinges of the cargo doors that no one knows why the factory put them there
(they weren't mounted but the holes are there and the owner says he has them.
This thing is perfect in the cargo area.  Was a delivery truck for a
 laundry which means only clothes ever got in the cargo area, no weight to ding
up the interior.  That's the good.  The bad is that the current owner had it
painted (original color sealing wax red) and the paint job is one of the $200
jobs that looks good at about 50 yards.  And the  paint covered up the original
logos of the laundry.  I offered $5,000 for the bus.  Owner will not budge off
of his asking price of $7,000 and that's too much.  It would make a really
fantastic resto project for someone who really wants a double door swivel and
is willing to put that much money into an excellent resto project.  I can't do
it.  Would buy it for $5 and make another bakery truck but won't go the $7.
Anyone want to give this guy a good home let me know and I will put you in
touch with owner.  My opinion the truck is worth $5 maybe $6K.