[tcb] Re: Vanagon question for Jack

  • From: "Trey Jung" <treyjung@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:36:51 -0500

stay away from the guy that took over tony shop. he ripped me
off.............

On 4/26/07, Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's why I do all my work myself. The only person I have heard great
reviews about is Jeff over at JBS. I need to replace the steering rack on
the Vanagon, never have done one before but now's my chance. I'm sure a
local shop should be able to do the alignment once I'm done. I've bought
parts from Donnie but have never had any work done by him other than line
boring a couple of cases for me. Had 1 problem with one of the cases but
that guy does not work for Donnie any more. I sure would like to find
someone closer than Pasadena to get machine work done.

*Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>* wrote:

I hate the way people wind up at Herr Schmidts. I could not find anyone
else in town that would do baywindow ball joints.
I can't really recommend them to anyone, I would not call Jack's a
sterling endorsement of their work.
I really miss Tony Freeman, I have never heard anything good about the
Fredrick guy that took over his shop.

 On Apr 26, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Mark Sawyer wrote:

Thanks

*JKi7886155@xxxxxxx* wrote:

 Mark:

I hate to admit it but, for the fuel injection problems I had Herr
Schmidt's do the work. I was mainly impressed by the equipment that they had
for working on the VW fuel injections. They were slow and a bit pricey but,
at least now (with the help of the spark plugs they told me about) it runs
good.

The air conditioning problems were handled by a Vietnamese guy that I
know. Mechanically, that's about all I have had to do to it.

On air cooled stuff, if I don't want to do it myself, I have been taking
it to Jeff at JBS. Same story. He's not cheap but, if he does it, it is done
well.

So far I have bought parts from Donny, in Pasadena but, have not had him
do any labor. I don't think I would hesitate to have him do anything but, it
is difficult running a car over there and picking it up later.

Best regards,

Jack Kirsch

In a message dated 4/26/2007 8:23:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Who is the mechanic you take your Vanagon to? Someone P-mailed me about a
vanagon problem and I just don't have time to look at it. I was going to
recommend Donnie Smith or the guy you use.

Mark Sawyer
84 Vanagon Westy--"Twinkie"
92 Cabriolet--"Tinker"
70 Karmann Ghia Vert--"Dorothy" (soon to be running)
70 Type 1 Vert--"Vern" (still in pieces)
69 Type 3 Fastback--"Earnest" (also in pieces)
Texas Coalition of Busses (T.C.B)
Heidenheimer Bully Brigade (H.B.B)
Huntsville Organization of Busses (H.O.B.O)

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.

 Dan Martin
1971 VW Bus
H.B.B.