[tcb] Trying to be legal

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:55:41 -0500

The '68 Bus that I (along with the help of a couple of friends) got running had only brakes and headlights out of all of the requirements to pass inspection - no turn signals, no brake lights, no horn, no rear lights, no brights and no wipers. So today I disassembled, experimented, cleaned things, spliced wires, changed light bulbs, reassembled and I had some luck. The horn, rear lights, brake lights and the turn signals all work now.

I am still trying to figure out if I can get the brights to work without replacing the whole turn signal switch, since it is pricey and since I could possibly hook it all up and still the brights won't work. When I put the headlights on and then try to click the brights on I don't get any click or any brights.

The wiring on this Bus is crazy. It is not VW wiring. There seems to be at least three times more wiring than a VW would normally have. And it has glass fuses.

There are two wires connected with an o-ring type connector that seem to be coming from the turn signal housing but they are just dangling. I can't figure where they are supposed to attach.

So I'm figuring that maybe the brights aren't working because there's something not quite right in the turn signal switch or because of those hanging wires (I wish I could figure where the heck they should attach to).

I haven't tried to fix the wipers yet.

I hope to conquer these obstacles to being legal tomorrow!