[tcb] Re: Trip of the Lifetime

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:58:47 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

You have someone to go home to so your situation is a bit different than
mine. But...

Do it. You have a phone. Call Jan at the end of every day and tell her
about all the things you've seen and done. Find out how much you enjoy it
and plan to do it again next year, or the next, WITH Jan. Have her start
talking to the school  near the end of the school year about taking a 6
week sabbatical the following school year so she can be in on the "finding
a qualified sub" process (a sub for a sick day doesn't have to know how to
teach the subject, a sub for 6 weeks ...).

Yesterday was the first time I was inside my house more than an hour (for a
shower) since 9/12/2006. My 10/11 day trips mean 20/22 days away from the
house because of the way I work. I'm in the general area but going home at
midnight and back to work at 0700 isn't worth the hassle.

But I like my trips. I like the drive as much as the shows. I set the
cruise on the truck at 50mph coming home this time (18mpg from a 5.7L V-8
towing a bus -- very cool). No interstate highways at all.

Terry, from the Buskatiers, does a 3 week trip every summer. It usually
includes only only one VW show though. A different Buskatier (or three)
usually goes with him each year depending on who can get vacation time.

Gerald