[tcb] Re: Tranny fluid?

  • From: "w.wood" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:32:06 -0400

Well it is also the dry start conditions too.  Since there is no pump, all
that fluid has to be slung around to lubricate the parts.  If your vw sits
for a long time this alone warrants me using it to avoid premature wear.
On Sep 28, 2010 1:18 PM, "James Dwan" <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm, well I need to flush out the tranny fluid in the '59 soon anyway. I
imagine it plays nice with the synchros and all that otherwise you wouldn't
be using it.

what's funny to me is how the old argument about oils still persists.  I was
having

> a discussion today with somebody at work about a new Laptop I just
bought.  When I thought about it, it will have more storage, more memory and
will be substantially faster than
> all the equipment in a Data Center I once worked in back in the 80s.  That
was over 200,000 square feet too.

> Now, with Oil the same thing holds true.  There's still a lot of FUD out
there regarding all of this.  Also as old St. Berg used to say "use the
thinnest oil you need too. Thicker oils don't lubricate better."

> which is why I laugh when somebody tells me they're running "Straight 50
weight" in their VW engine.  THe oil relief plungers are probably wedged at
the bottom all the time and they're losing about 10 HP

> just turning the oil pump.
>
> With a transmission and such the oil doesn't get changed that often, VW
recommended it but who really does it?  The main problem with that is water
absorption not only from driving but from

> normal atmospheric conditions.  The same goes for brake fluid.  Moisture
gets in and causes corrosion and the fluid will break down.  So there's
silicone brake fluid now but most systems
> can't use it (seals and such).  If you've ever torn down a third member
out of a one ton you'll now how that smelly brown fluid smells.  That burnt,
oil fouled watery smell.  Ewww..

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM, James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I seem to remember hearing something bad about RP but maybe it was the oil
additive? It wasn't on a VW though.

sold at Napa is correct. You can do it cold. Might want to loosen the fill
hole first to make sure you can get it off. Plus it will help it drain. Buy
a hand pump it will save you lots of headaches when refilling.