[tcb] Re: Speaking of Valves

  • From: "w.wood" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:02:06 -0500

it's heat and pressure related.  even when an engine has very little
leakdown (piston rings, valve guides etc.) there's still a lot of pressure
that builds up in the crankcase.  In a stock ACVW the 3/4 side also get a
lot of oil slosh (windage) into the valvetrain area which further causes
some pull when it drains back in. This means that the air inside those
covers is also less dense than the air outside the valve covers.  all it
takes is enough pressure differential and heat and you'll pull a gasket.

I used to think it was just bad gaskets or warped covers but venting those
same covers and alleviating the crankcase pressure helps solve the problem.
If you don't want to vent the covers then a little permatex works wonders.
Just be prepared to do a little scraping between gasket changes.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM, sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
My Email Moniker
http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx