[tcb] Oddball brakes in the Rivi

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VintagVW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buskatiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:30:58 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:46:01 -0500 (Central Standard Time) "Gerald V.
Livingston II" <gerald.type2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some ***hole PO replaced the entire brake master/booster with one from
> another model.
>
> So, what VW's other than the bus came with power brakes? Type4, type3?
>
> There's a VW stamp on the (broken) master that's installed but no part
> number that I could find under the rust.
>
> The front circuit has been bad at least since the last brake job. I got a
> look at the pads he took off and they are essentially brand new. So,
> whoever did the last brake job also didn't give a sh** that the front
> brakes didn't work. The back ones work great.
>
> One thing I'm not real sure about is if maybe it's the design of this
> master that is causing the front not to work. It is designed for 4 wheel
> independent brakes. It has 6 holes. 2 for switches and 4 for lines. The PO
> blocked 1 front and 1 rear circuit hole with crimped lines.
>
> REALLY don't want to have to swap out the whole drum/master from the '74
> since the Rivi is a '73 and I'm not sure if the bigger booster will be a
> bolt-on swap.
>
> G2

The booster from the '74 looks like it will be a bolt in BUT

They replaced the booster, master cylinder (to match the booster), AND the
push shaft that attaches the pedal to the FRONT of the booster.

I can see WHY they did it, they wanted better braking for the 6000 lb
Riviera. The booster I just pulled out is freaking HUGE. It's thicker than
the '74 booster and also about 1 or 2 inches bigger around. I thought I was
going to have to pop the tie rod loose to get it out. 90 minutes of
twisting and turning and I was accomplishing nothing. Finally got it tilted
above the tie rod (wedged against the floor of the bus it's so big around)
and turned the steering wheel just right and it fell over it. I was almost
at the "bigger hammer" stage by that point.

I think the master also has a smaller bore than the stock Bay master. And
smaller bore = more pressure at the wheels.

The stamp on the master AND on the booster is the VW/Audi symbols. The
circled VW plus the 5 circle Audi. I'll have to blast or wire-wheel the
master to be able to read the part number on it. The booster has this part
number:

2K9 233A 127?5  OR
2K9 238A 127?5

the "?" I think is another "7"

Any ideas? Google turned up nothing on the booster for me.

The lower reservoir is a from a stoks type2 MC luckily -- 211 611 313 K HP.
I like the design of what's there (stock, OEM I assume) better than the
replacement pictured at busdepot
(http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211611313J). The one I have
doesn't have the huge divider in the middle. there is a divider but it is
much smaller. Should allow the level to stay equalized better in front/rear
if I get stupid and let the upper reservoir run dry. Plus, less divider
means the lower reservoir I have holds more fluid.

Anyway, ideas appreciated. I'm going to head back to the other storage unit
to grab the master cylinder and the brake pedal-to-booster shaft. All I
grabbed the other day was the booster.

I have to locate and buy the grommets that fit in the type2 master cylinder
for the lower reservoir to "plug in" to. Either that or take the ones out
of the '74 master since the new master didn't come with them. Anyone have a
part number for those??

G2