[tcb] Re: OT: Success! Triumphs starts on first kick!

  • From: singlecabboy <sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 08:42:19 -0800 (PST)

Still down.
Paul Smith
The Zone
1961 Delux Singlecab

--- On Fri, 12/7/12, Duncan <whocanduncan1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Duncan <whocanduncan1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] OT: Success! Triumphs starts on first kick!
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, December 7, 2012, 1:43 AM

Finally. My seven year project extended into eight years but I finally got her
started tonight. What a sense of accomplishment!

Tonight I methodically went through the float possibilities, first setting it
to spec then going up 1mm, 2mm, etc. then down 1mm, 2mm and such. Stock is 22 ~
24 mm. I set it at 23 mm and went down, then up. Would you believe 1/2 mm made
the difference between dry and flooded?

I rigged up a water flow tank so I could work on the carbs on the bench. On my
first attempt, before the AAC meeting tonight, the water jug fell off of the
shelf. Fortunately it landed in a waste bucket. I left it there in frustration
and went to the Austin Air Coolers meeting.

It was a good get together but with a very low turn out, especially considering
the beautiful weather. We met at Deep Eddy as usually then cruised to Austin
Pizza.

SunnyDaze was even there! She helps put on the Harvestfest but hasn't been
around for awhile. Good to see her.

There is someone amongst our mis that has a new, 1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition
Westphalia. Rare, indeed. In sweet condition for a phenomenal price. Just an
overnighter without the closet, sink, fridge or camper top but in excellent
shape. Had the table, both jump seats, AC and was stick shift. Wolfram Grey but
without the sparkle. ;)

After Cindy and I got back, I rigged it all up again but this time with bungee
cords strapping the jug down. When I finally hit the sweet spot and there was
no flooding, I air dried everything, put the carbs back on, tightened
everything down and kicked it once. VAROOM! VAROOM! Yahoo!

And unbelievable, all the other settings sound sweet at first blush. Fuel/air
ratio, timing, everything seems dead on.

Ah, life is good.

Wishing everyone the same success today, over the holidays and throughout the
year.

Which reminds me, how is The Zone, Paul?

Duncan