[tcb] Re: Mirrors

  • From: "Sharon Chamberlain" <iluvvws@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:02:59 -0500

Peter I gotta say that's what Steve said too but maybe it was more like get
the he-- out of Houston and you'll be ok. We drive big 15 passenger chevy
vans and almost get killed every time we go there. We have the elephant ears
and I don't think they shake, I would have noticed but then again maybe they
are the original ones, I've only replaced the rubber since we've owned the
bus. We also had one of those truck mirrors like was pictured on our 66
deluxe black and white bus, came with it, looked awful but worked good.
Denis can't you wait til the split bus show in fl - you'd be able to get
some really good mirrors there. Borrow some to use for now if you need them.

From: coocoo@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:23:03
To:tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Mirrors

I just came in from driving from Wiesenhiemer Road and 610 here in the happy
town of Houston and I gotta tell you that, as I was crossing two lanes of
traffic in the friggin' dark, and everyone doing 90 while I am doing a brisk
65 and I'm having to force my way into lanes because...well, it's Houston, I
remembered fondly that in 1972 I was driving a 1960 bus that had these big
stable vertical mirrors, called California or truck mirrors. The only knock
I've ever heard about them was that you had to drill holes into you doors to
install them. Well, as I am looking into the passenger side elephant ears
and trying to will my brain into reading the wiggling distortion of
headlights and trying to decode the distance and speed of the hazardous
asshole who won't let me come over. I was hearing a voice in my head saying
"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO TOMORROW AND BUY SOME DAMN TRUCK MIRRORS SO YOU
WON"T DIE IN A FLAMING ORGY OF TWISTED METAL AND BROKEN GLASS!!!"

So? Go ahead all you purists and tell me how I am going to mess up what
little stock is left to my bus. I have always said that as long as the "new"
stuff was not an improvement, I wouldn't use it, but I am afraid that this
is a safety improvement that is undeniable. If I am going to drive my bus
for the net 30 or so days, many times, on major highways, I may need to
improve the visability.

So, there.