[tcb] Re: MOTOR OUT OF THE ZONE

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:22:30 -0500

WOW great to hear you just need a HEAD

I was once riding in a bug back in high school when the driver "heard
something funny" mashed the clutch and hit the key. I was sure he had
lost his mind, but he would not let me touch it. When we got it home
and the motor out. The number 3 exhaust valve keeper had broken, the
valve dropped and was stuck in the electrode hole of the spark plug.
Only one mark on the top of the piston. New keeper, reassembled new
plug, went for miles and miles after that.
I wanted to crank on it on the side of the road...........

On May 20, 2004, at 1:08 PM, singlecabboy wrote:

> Well after the Fredricksburg trip we thought we heard
> something from the motor that we didn't like ,We
> checked the valves and they were ok ,took the rockers
> off and found that the head was alittle loose ,we
> tightened it up and was ready for ennis, I made the
> Ennis trip ok ,but it still didn't sound right
> ,checked the valves and they had tightened up abit,
> ,we took the head off and found that we had a low spot
> od the head surface that was causeing the problem, we
> took the head to be resurfaced to a freinds in Lorena
> TX.He surfaced the head and everything looked good
> ,then we pulled one of the valves and found the real
> reason of our problems, a burnt valve seat, make a
> trophy out of the head , My freind Bob has a set of
> step heads that are suppose to run better and cooler.
> I was lucky I didn't loose the whole motor, Morle of
> the story ,If you hear your engine sound not right
> ,it's probably something not right, Change the oil
> more than is called for and drive,em, I should be on
> thr road by Friday ,with no other surprizes
>
> =====
> Paul Smith
> www.23window.com/thezone
> Aka "The Bus People"