[tcb] Re: Looking for opinions

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:13:34 -0500

Julie, I have the straight axle in the rear. It will drop the bus 3 1/2". So you will have to lower the front also. I used Wolfgang International kits and their dropped spindles. My engine is a 1914 with a 412 ring and pinion tranny.

I have carried 18 80lb bags of cement and my fat ass for a total of 1680 lbs in my lowered bus and climbed the long hill to my house in third gear.

I tell you all this to answer questions about torque and kit combinations and blah blah.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would because I like the look and feel of the lowered bus, but I need to make clear that it is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS. You will be forever dealing with scraping your steering box and dragging your exhaust, which breaks the gasket seal and causes exhaust leaks. I would not have that problem if I pampered my bus and didn't use it every day like a real car, but I do.

You will also have to find and fit weird parts combos, like "Thing" or Type three drums and backing plates... It's a BIG undertaking. ----- Original Message ----- From: <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>