[tcb] Re: I'm BACK!

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 07:47:39 -0500

Sounds like a GREAT trip!
Thanks for the trip report!

The "syndrome" sounds like passenger car tires on a bus.
(ask me how I know)
I run the Hankooks listed here on Homer now:

http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp

They made a bigger difference in handling than anything else I have done.

On May 21, 2006, at 12:29 AM, j duncan wrote:

The "Life Is Good" Tour

2 week roundtrip to the Great Smoky Mountains:

Freedom van Gogh ('89 Vanagon w/Subie conversion):
2,430 miles total
Up: All 2-lane, 1,367 miles on US 79S, over US 84E, Up the Natchez Trace Pkwy (beautiful!) over US 64E and finally on TN roads to Deals Gap, NC.
Back: 1,063 miles on US 64 to I75 to I59 to I20 and finally US 79S.
3.3L = Testosterone
3.3L also ='s 12.8 miles per gallon

Harley (my bike, so named 'cause it's a Honda blowin' oil):
1,671 miles total
1,367 up (see above)
304 miles in the Schmokies
54 miles per galloon on the Trace @ 50 mph
38 miles per gallon elsewhere @ 65++ mph
Tamed the Dragon @ 318 curves in 11 miles. Note: 2 others in our party spilled beans and another broke a rib. 1 contributed to the Tree of Shame. I grabbed asphalt with my pegs and received thumbs up by the crotch-rocket group. It was a good trip! We all lived to tell about it, regardless of "The Thing"!!

Personalized Denim shirts on on the way to all participants.

If you plan a trip to the Smokies, check out www.thetreetops.com. Ron & Nancy have a sweet deal for house rentals in the area and the property is located on the Cherohala Skyway. We stayed at the Ridge (hot tub, pool table, ping-pong table, foosball, et al) Also check out http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ for info on the area. What a freakin' BLAST! Busses in the Boonies for us TCB'ers, maybe????? What a buzz that would create!

Great parks discovered while on this trip: TX St RR History Park in Rusk, TX (this is where the space shuttle Columbia 1st began it's breakup), Natchez State Park, MS (the start of the Trace Pkwy), Jeff Busby (1/2 way on the Trace), and Roosevelt S.P, MS (1/2 way on the return trip for your fix of mosquitos).

Dennis: I regret not having stopped on the way back. I was advised to take a different route due my need to high-tail it back. I was truly looking forward to sharing a cup of joe with you. Spiked, of- course. PsychoBluie it is then, even if my spot is relegated to the Wal-Mart parking lot. :(

Question to the TCB'ers: Is the infamous "Vanagon Syndrome" that squirrelly feeling of bobbin' 'n' weavin' all over the road? I can understand it when it's windy out but Freedom was ALL over the road, even in calm conditions. I had the frontend checked by the stealership prior to departue and all was fine. Freedom still felt like he had a mind of his own, though. Good thing beer calms the nerves. JUST KIDDING! ;)

Next trip: BBTP! See all TCB'ers there!

Busses, bikes and friendships forever,
Duncan