[tcb] Re: I now have 3rd

  • From: Jammy <damhippiekustoms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:10:27 -0700 (PDT)

where do I find the #'sya'll are talking about ? kinda lost but catching on
quickly

"Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Pick a day that you
don't have to drive and drop the motor so you can
compare what's on the new tranny with what you have in there now.

Measure the input shaft. Measure the bellhousing. Set the new tranny on the
ground under the old one and get a good eyeball comparison.

DON'T FORGET to look at the nosecone area with the new tranny lying under
the one that's in there. MAKE SURE the front mounts are the same. May have
to swap parts out up there too.

Then put your motor back in and go to work on the "new" tranny since you
have to replace the seals anyway.

Take off the bellhousing. Put it back on. Take it off again.

Do the same with the input shaft. Remove and re-install it a few times
until you are comfortable doing it. Take as many days as you need.

Now, replace all the seals and leave it with he bellousing and input shaft
off.

When you have another free day drop your motor and tranny. Pull the input
shaft and bell housing from yours. Put them on the new tranny. Re-install.
Should only take a few hours if you have everything done that can be before
dropping the old tranny.

G2

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:23:13 -0700 (PDT) Jammy
wrote:

> yeppers I still have the original tranny still in it and driving it daily so
> I need to find anouther tranny like the one I have just for the bell housing?
>
> Brian Denning wrote:
> he has the original tranny i would assume so swaping out the bell housing
> and the input shaft i don't think would be a problem.
>

> >From: "Gerald V. Livingston II"
> >To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [tcb] Re: I now have 3rd
> >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:57:48 -0500 (Central Standard Time)
> >
> >6 rib into your '70. 6 rib would be a 091, right?
> >
> >MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE!! I think the input shaft on the 091 is a bit
> >longer than the one on the 002 (has to be trimmed 5/8" I think). The bell
> >housing may be set up for a late Bay 228mm flywheel as well. If it is you
> >may need to look for an earlier bellhousing to bolt up to the gearbox
> >because the late one will be "thicker" and make the whole mounting system
> >not line up correctly.
> >
> >Get all of the numbers you can find from the tranny. Join the Buskatiers
> >mailing list at http://www.buskatiers.org. Ask there. I think Jamie Auch
> >put a late tranny into his early bay and would be helpful with info.
> >
> >A 091 will give you better highway gearing. From all I've read, you'll like
> >it when it's done.
> >
> >I found some of the info in my archive at
> >.
> >I'm not sure what year bus he was putting it in. Follow the message thread
> >by clicking the arrows that point to the right to go to the next message in
> >this thread (on the right side of the screen -- next message in this thread
> >is by Britt Grannis).
> >
> >G2
> >
> >On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:50:55 -0700 (PDT) Jammy
> >wrote:
> >
> > > my tranny woes are now gone a fellow aircooler GAVE!!!! me a 6 rib bus
> > > tranny just needs seals was running great before they took it out is
> >there
> > > anything special I need to do before I put it in?
> >

> > > Keep it Aircooled,
> > >
> > > Jammy Thomas
> > > Dam Hippie Kustoms

Keep it Aircooled,