[tcb] Re: Coming in on a wing and a prayer

  • From: Stephen Brannan <ozarkcycleworks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 10:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

Slick 50 was designed to bring those old Rolls Royce engines home after being
shot up with no oil pressure during WWII.  Good luck Denis.

coocoo@xxxxxxx wrote:  So, I tied up with a bunch of locals that were at
Psycoblooie and went to Busses Nowhere Near The Arch. This is my second year
and it is in the top 5 on my calendar. Like T@P it is a true not-a-show
campout. And truly hilarious, lots of laughing. The biggest contingent seems to
be from Wisconsin. No one knows why. Lots of brats.

So, on the way up, we are driving through Norman Rockwell beautiful family
values American small town with a soda fountain and I look at my rear view and
see nothing but white. I am laying huge thick billows of white blue smoke. The
cheerleaders and the Music Man band people are falling in the street with their
arms over their faces. Not really, but it was a cute little town and I did
blanket it..

Anyway, I think, "There's a blown engine", but I still have throttle, and when
I give it the gas, the smoke stops. So, of course, there are about 100 VW
mechanics there and the consensus was that I have a "burnt piston , or a
cracked ring. They offered to build be a new engine until they found out that
it was a 1914 and that I needed machined 88s. None of those parts on Labor day
weekend.

So, I am burning two quarts of oil per tank and am learning to drive with a
constant pedal, because if I don't it looks like I'm spraying for misquitos. We
are sleeping in a KOA in Springfield, MO tonight and tomorrow we will nurse
Murray the rest of the way home.

Like a WW2 bomber trying to get home after hitting Tokyo, I am pretty shot up
and far from home, but I got the karma.

More tomorrow.

By the way Julie made about a hundred CDs for us for Psycoblooie and I brought
them here. They were quite the hit.

There were 81 busses there. A lot of really cool Vanagons

FareChase.