[tcb] Re: Back to where I was

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:52:18 -0600

You go man!

On Jan 12, 2007, at 8:45 AM, Denis Dodson wrote:

OK, I finished a bunch of stuff on Murray last night. I now have the new tranny in, Sammie and Andrew and Steve and Chuck and Dan had me that far when we were all at Chuck's, but I had done a TERRIBLE job of putting the backing plates on so that I could put wheels on and get the bus on the trailer.

When we took out the old tranny and took apart the old axles we found only one inner spacer (gee, that's odd) and then we took out the axles and fulcrum cups and plates we found really bad damage to the non spacer side (amazing that it had worked at all, much less for eight years).

So, here, at home, I got Murray on his lift and took of the backing plates and took three days to get off one #@!&^% bearing and made two trips to Way Out Salvage for the correct inner spacer.

Last night I readjusted my springplates (so that Ronnie can ride passenger, maybe) got the axletubes into the springplates, attached the shocks and put on and took off and put on and took off the wheel seals (yes, several times) I did it over a couple of times until I understood how the seals work (the outer spacer should go into the oil seal and THEN attached to the backing plate). I connected the brake lines.

Now I have to do unsexy work like run the emergency brake cables before I can put the drums and wheels back on.

I sure hope the tranny works after all this. There is so much work to do that you can't test until the engine is in and started and run through the gears. Are the fulcrum plates still in place?

Gee, I hope so.