[tcb] A shaky start to the TRIP OF A LIFETIME.

  • From: <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:46:52 -0500

I think we can abbreviate TRIP OF A LIFETIME to TOAL now. It takes way too long
to type all that out.

So it has been an interesting week, being in Houston and buying stuff I can't
find in Arkansas, and working out all the little probs that Murray has before
heading into the great unknown of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
Right now that still all seems like a big iffy bet, but we'll see.

As most all of you know that, when coming down from AR and at the border of TX
a brake cylinder gave up the ghost and by the grace of whatever power you
believe in, I had one. But in doing the small repairs damage was found from the
result of bad or no maintenance and my driving my bus into the ground.

So Dan and I ordered all the parts for a complete brake replacement: drums,
shoes, hardware, everything we needed. But we had to order the German drums so
we ran out of time to do them here in Houston, so I carried all the parts up to
Boerne.

So now the story turns to Peter Albarian, who, when you meet him and he tells
you that he has all these busses and he's restoring this two 23 windows, and he
has all these vintage parts all piled up and you say that guy is so full of it,
and he's all bragging, and I bet he's all hat and no cattle...I am here to
testify he has all that stuff and lots more. The guy has two 23 window busses
in his garage and a beautiful restored Deluxe that his son drives and a double
cab with the Conestoga canvas and shelves full of vintage everything. It's
enough to make you sick.

So, Murray and I went on the cruise and to Luckenbach and the Dan says, "Let's
go over to Peter's and we can trick him into doing your brakes". And we go over
there and Karen was very gracious and her home is big and gorgeous with a creek
and a waterfall of their very own and the house is full of teenagers. I would
kill myself in a week, but they are all very well mannered and polite, but I'm
pretty sure I'd still kill myself.

They has more deck than I have house.

His Garage is about as big as my whole house. And it's full of VW stuff. So,
someone mentions about the brakes and I say that it is really too late and we
forget about it until Kirk asks about weren't we supposed to do some brakes and
I say it's really too late but he starts "Get it in here, c'mon let's go" so
instead of us tricking Peter Kirk tricks us. At right around midnight we give
up because Kirk ( who is doing all the work) can't get all the parts to fit
into the drums. Whenever he tightens the  axle nut it all binds up and won't
turn. so, sadly I leave Murray in parts and go to the hotel.

The next day we go to the show. It is really a great show. It's in a beautiful
city park wit shopping and restaurants within easy walks. Everybody really
seems to have a very good time at the Boerne show. They have alot to be proud
of.

Peter announces that it is time to go back to his garage. He has put in a call
to his VW guru, Rick. Rick is to Peter what Bob is to Paul. He pulls up quickly
to the curb, gets of  his truck and briskly goes straight to the bus and gets
busy. After a short explanation he goes at it and quickly shows us that the
castings on the new drums need to be ground down. That's all. Without
hesitation I offer up money and sexual favors from Dan for him to simply
continue and get me back on the road, which he does in short order.

We have five busses at Peter's curbs, mine in the driveway and his two 23
windows inside. It was a small show of it's own.

Dan and Kat and I drove as far as Seguin and crashed at the Comfort Inn. And
here we are now, back in Houston. Now to continue the shakeout of Murray for
the big launch this weekend into Louisiana and beyond.

But I think my clutch is slipping