[tcb] Re: 67 Flywheel

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 12:45:11 +0000 (UTC)

Steve:  With your comments I am 99.99% certain that you have a 130 tooth
standard 12V flywheel.  Otherwise that Autozone starter would never work.
Also, if you have put so many in maybe you are not replacing the starter
bushing when you put in a new starter.  You are supposed to that.  A worn
bushing will make a starter drag, sometimes to the point of not working and
will lead you to believe that the starter is shot, when in reality all you need
is a new $3 bushing.
And grinding the bell housing on the SC means that you have a 6V tranny and you
are fitting an engine with the standard 130 tooth 12V flywheel.
And Steve; I can't tell by looking either.  I have to count the teeth.

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:56 AM, Steve Chamberlain
<steveraychamberlain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sammie, sorry I wouldn't know the difference if I was holding it in my hands
however I do know that I have an "off the shelf" 12v starter from Auto Zone.
With the lifetime warranty I have changed it several times in fact I believe
that the last time I was able to get an automatic starter. Also when I put one
of the engines out of the bus into my single cab I had to grind the bell
housing to make it fit (think I also did that on one of the transaxle changes I
did in the bus.  That being said I do know that I never assume that just
because it was there when I got it that it means it is original equipment.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 3:33 AM, sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Do any of you know which flywheel came stock on a 67 bus.  First year of 12V I
know, and I know the difference between a 6V and 12 V flywheel,. and what a 6V
50HP bus flywheel is.  Busses prior to 67 with M-Code 620 (12V option) did not
have a 12V flywheel.  They had a 6V 200mm flywheel with a bastardized 12V/6V
starter.  I'm just trying to figure out if the 67 had a 12V 200mm flywheel (130
teeth) or the 6V 200mm flywheel with 180 teeth with of course the bastardized
starter..
Steve?  Ronnie?  I know you guys both have 67s and have had the engines out
several times. And if you are running a standard everyday off the shelf 12V
starter then I guarantee you that you have a 130 teeth 200mm clutch flywheel.
I think the same question would apply to the 67 Type I, but I am pretty certain
they had the standard 130 teeth 12 V flywheel.