[talks-uk] Nokia N97...

  • From: "Matt Brown" <matthew_brown@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:34:59 +0100

Hey everyone, thought I'd just give you some thoughts on this handset and some
of the others I checked out today.

OK, the N97 is a gorgeous phone! Feels great, keyboard nicely laid out, very
clear screen for those of us who have some useful vision. The OS can be
navigated completely from the keyboard, with one major exception, and I'll be
writing to Nokia about this one right away. Basically, although the keyboard
does feature a back key, it can only be used to delete characters in a text,
digits, phonebook entries etc. It is not an exit key. The only exit key is an
icon on the screen, and that really sucks because in every other respect the
phone is completely usable for us! However, I can't believe it would be
impossible for Nokia to add exit functionality to the back key with a very
simple firmware revision, so I'm going to request they do this as soon as
possible.

The E75 looks pretty cool, doesn't have as much battery life as the E71, but
does have a true qwerty keyboard and is a side-slide phone like the N97. There
are no tactile markings on the Home keys however, so you have to orientate
yourself using a metal strip that divides the keyboard. It runs vertically down
between the G and H keys, so it is doable. Its basically the same spec as the
E71, but I don't think the internal memory is as good.

The N86 is basically the same design as the N85, but has a larger internal
memory and a few more bells and whistles.

The N97 would be a brilliant phone for us if we can only persuade Nuance to
develop a 5th addition version of Talks, and get Nokia to make the back key an
exit key when navigating menus, phonebook etc. The keyboard on it is gorgeous,
and the phone just feels really sexy to hold in your hand. I've never held a
phone like it I have to say.

What can we do to pressure Nuance? What do we do to get Nokia to make this very
simple change to the firmware so the back key becomes an exit key as well? Your
thoughts would be helpful!

Matt