[talks-uk] Nokia 9210i Communicator Replacement

  • From: "Polonius Solutions" <advice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 02:40:58 +0100

Hi Listers

Finally got to accept that my Nokia 9210i Communicator is now just an
expensive electronic brick - working fine on Friday Evening, dead on
Saturday - Sighted Friend says nothing on either Screen and will not charge
(this has been an intermittent problem for some time) although should not
have required charging as 3 out of 4 battery bars on Friday.

When the first signs of imminent demise appeared Last Year, I tried to find
a Replacement for the 9210i but was unsuccessful as the Nokia E90 which I believe to
be the Updated Communicator would not work with Talks at that time. I did
purchase a Nokia N95 (4GB as the 8GB not Talks compatible at the time) to
hold in reserve although as it does not have a built in QWERTY Keyboard I
was unwilling to use it until I really had to.

I am not looking for lots of Bells and Whistles. I just want a reliable
Mobile with built in QWERTY Keyboard (not separate Blue Tooth Keyboard) with
easy to use Contacts and Calendar/Diary Facilities which accepts Talks. I am
a Local Councillor and the 9210i was ideal as I could just scroll down the
400/500 Telephone Contacts and press Soft Key 1 to be in touch straight
away. In addition, the Calendar allowed me to quickly check and book
Appointments. The large number of Contacts and Appointments is the reason
for wanting a built in QWERTY Keyboard as it allows me to enter Information
easily without having to juggle two or more Units (Mobile plus Keyboard) or learn the 'Multi Push Button Technique..

Is there now a Replacement for the Communicator which is Talks compatible
and, if so, is it likely to be purchasable from Vodafone with whom I have
been a long time Contract Customer or am I stuck with having to learn how to
use the N95 with Blue Tooth Keyboard?

Suggestions welcomed

Best Wishes

KEITH ROTHWELL

--

KEITH ROTHWELL

Bury, Lancashire, United Kingdom

E-Mail: advice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BLIND PERSON - NO GRAPHICS PLEASE - PLAIN TEXT ONLY PLEASE

Please note that, as I am totally blind, I cannot handle Written or Printed Material of any kind. Please respond by Telephone, Plain Text E-Mail, Plain (MS-DOS) Text File on Floppy Disk, or Audio Cassette Tape. No Braille please as I am
amongst the 90% or so of Blind People who cannot read Braille.