[talks-uk] Re: 3G/GSM QUERY

  • From: "Neil Barnfather" <talks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:20:02 +0100

Hi,
First up, no using 3G should not have any impact on call quality for either
internal UK calls or those made over seas. This is because the difference
between 2.5G and 3G, i.e. Traditional GSM verse 3G, is mainly increased band
width, this band width as with land lines is used and dedicated to data based
content, and not voice signals. So using 3G will speed up everything from
sending a text message or picture message, through to using the internet and
sending e-mail, but will not effect call quality.
In the case of your call to India, it is likely that the carrier network at the
other end doesn't have a particually good quality coverage.
As for battery, yes using 3G will notably reduce your battery life.

Neil Barnfather
WFA List Administrator
Talks Users Host

Don't forget www.talknav.net, where you can buy Nuance Talks and Zooms as well
as Wayfinder Access, with instant purchasing and product activation codes
delivered within minutes of your order direct to your inbox. For all details
see the site, www.talknav.net, together with pricing in British Sterling, US
Dollars and Euros.