[tabi] blind hiker update

  • From: "Lynn Evans" <evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:42:28 -0500

Hello friends:

From the various responses I received this trek has been done once before by
Bill Irwin a blind man back in 1990. This was done with his guide dog Orient
and before GPS was commercially available.

From Mike Hanson's website http://www.blindhiker.com
I plan to hike from south to north, starting in March, 2009.  I expect this
hike to take six to eight months.  I should finish in September or October.
I plan to film a documentary of this adventure with Fresh Image Video
Productions.  Please visit my blog for updates on my progress.  The address is
www.blindhiker.wordpress.com.

We will fly out of Minneapolis to Atlanta, GA on March 3. We have reservations
at the Hiker Hostel for March 3 and hope to hit the trail near Springer
Mountain on March 4. Packing and last minute preparations are going well.

From my research Mike Hanson's start date was a bit confusing to me. I kept
running across a start date of March 2008 then March 2009 as above. After
reading Mike's blog he seems to have had a few setbacks with his sponsorship
and funding. The new start date is March 5 2010.

Here is the video again from the Komando website
http://videos.komando.com/2010/03/07/a-blind-hikers-journey/

Below is the description of the book written by Bill Irwin taken from the NLS
BARD website.
Blind Courage
Irwin, Bill. Read by Terence Aselford. Reading time 5 hours 58 minutes.
Blindness and Physical Handicaps
A variety of problems involving family, alcoholism, and blindness prompted
middle-aged Bill Irwin's decision to tackle the 2,000-mile- long Appalachian
Trail with his dog guide Orient. For eight months in 1990, the self-proclaimed
non-hiker made his way along the sometimes treacherous trail--a feat he credits
to God. In describing the trip, Irwin stresses the helpfulness of the other
"thru-hikers" he met.  DB 32328