[tabi] Fw: Accessibleworld Presents An Interview With Frank Kurt Cylke On Books And Beyond, Thursday, February 24, 2011, At A Special Time

  • From: "Lynn Evans" <evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lynn Evans" <evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:51:55 -0500

FYI
----- Original Message -----
From: News Wire
To: evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:56 AM
Subject: Accessibleworld Presents An Interview With Frank Kurt Cylke On Books
And Beyond, Thursday, February 24, 2011, At A Special Time

Accessibleworld Presents An Interview With Frank Kurt Cylke On Books And
Beyond, Thursday, February 24, 2011,   At A  Special Time

News wire:

It was March 3, 1931 when it all began. On that historic day, the National
Library Service had its beginnings. How did the visually impaired receive
information or experience novels before this groundbreaking event? Families
often read to each other then, but with the development of this national
program, blind people experienced reading as they never had been able to do
before. Through all its changes, The National Library Service is still going
strong. On our Next Books And Beyond, please note  the special start time of 4
p.m. eastern time, Frank Kurt Cylke, Director Of The National Library Service
For The Blind And Physically Handicapped will be our guest. How will they
celebrate this important date at the Library of Congress? What are the historic
breakthroughs made by The National Library Service since its beginning 80 years
ago? Who were its first narrators and how did they know of this opportunity? Of
what is Frank Kurt Cylke most proud? Director of the National Library Service
since 1973, he is a very important part of its history. A  fan and collector of
books by Arthur Ransome,   Frank Kurt Cylke credits the following from one of
Ransome's books in deciding to take the job as Director of the Nls program.
"Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a might have been." In an interview
several years ago, Frank Kurt Cylke spoke of how gratifying it was to see the
changes through the years of his service. "What has given me the most enjoyment
has been getting from the 8 1/3-rpm record to the cassette-to the half-speed,
four-track cassette-and now to the digital." Frank Kurt Cylke has received
awards for his work, notably the
Newel Perry Award in 2005 and The American Library Association Award, called
the Joseph Lippincott Award

At its beginning, who thought we would still be reading books from the National
Library Service so many years later. This fine part of our history is alive and
thriving thanks to Frank Kurt Cylke and others committed to its growth and
dedicated to that purpose. It is a history in which we all are a part.

Come celebrate with us a library system and a man who has been and continues to
be an important part of the books we love.

Bonnie Blose,Host,
E-Mail: bookmaven1@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thursday, February 24, 2011

Time: 1:00  PM PST, 2:00 PM MST, 3:00 PM CST, 4:00 PM EST,

and elsewhere in the world Wednesday,  9:00 GMT.

Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time; go to

The Books and Beyond Room at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs3cfe7424e06c

Or, alternatively,

Select The Books and Beyond Room at: www.accessibleworld.org

Enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.

If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online conferencing
software, there is a small, safe software program that you need to download and
then run. A link to the software is available on every entry screen to the
Accessible World rooms.

All online interactive programs are free of charge, and open to anyone
worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers, and a sound
card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the presenters and
others in the virtual audience. To speak to us, hold down the control key and
let up to listen. If no microphone is available, you may text chat with the
attendees.

Accessible World uses News Wires, like this one, to inform people of the topic
and times for the many Discussion Groups on Accessible World. The lists are
announce only to keep the traffic to a minimum. You can join the Accessible
World Announce List, the Tek Talk Announce List or the Sports Talk Announce
List by completing the form at: www.accessibleworld.org/mailinglists

Accessible World Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair

Accessible World

818-998-0044

Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

Marcia Moses, Events Coordinator

Accessible World

734-495-1496

Email: mgmoses@xxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Hoffman, President

Talking Communities

Email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the disabled
community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly relevant
information about new products, services, and training opportunities designed
specifically to eliminate geographic and access barriers that adversely affect
them

--
If you no longer wish to receive any more announcements from the Accessible
this link
Forward a Message to Someone:
this link

PNG image