[tabi] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: The BuzzClip: 15 Days Left for Pre-Orders

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 14:30:10 -0500

From: Nfbnet-members-list [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of David Andrews via Nfbnet-members-list
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 11:10 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: The BuzzClip: 15 Days Left for Pre-Orders

I have been asked to circulate the below message. I am doing so so that you
just get one copy, not a bunch on a bunch of our lists.

Dave

Hi Everyone,

We are a start-up company based in Toronto called iMerciv and we wanted to let
people know about the development of our new product that caters to the
orientation and mobility needs of those living with vision loss. The device has
been street tested and very well received by blind and low vision communities
in Canada hence our excitement to let your members know about it. The newly
launched BuzzClip is a small and discreet wearable device that helps those
living with vision loss with day to day traveling by detecting obstacles in
one’s immediate environment and then notifying the wearer of these obstacles
through intuitive vibrations. It uses ultrasound to detect any obstacle it is
pointing at and vibrates faster and stronger as the obstacle/person gets
closer.

The BuzzClip is an electronic device that offers upper body protection that is
sometimes missed by a guide dog or cane. It is not meant to be a replacement
for the cane or a guide dog rather it is supposed to work in tandem with
traditional aids to provide the user more information on their surroundings,
particularly at head level. The BuzzClip can be easily attached to many forms
of clothing (i.e it can be clipped on a lapel of a winter jacket, on a collar,
sleeves (long or short) and the lining of one’s belt) making it a highly
versatile and useful device.

There have indeed been many proximity detectors that came out over the years.
And the earlier ones definitely caused a lot of frustration as the
functionality and reliability were far from advertised. But we have been
working closely and testing our prototypes every step of the way with blind and
partially sighted testers in Canada, the U.S and India. Although we do use the
same ultrasonic technology, the technology has become much more refined over
the years. Also The Buzzclip is not just another ultrasonic proximity detector.
The fact that it is wearable and hands free makes it applicable in a lot more
use cases. Some of our testers have been using it in line ups at coffee shops
to determine when the line is moving forward. Some of them have been using it
as a way finder in tight spaces or crowded rooms by walking in the directions
where the Buzzclip doesn't detect anything. Some have found it useful as they
would be able to tell if the person they are conversing with got up to get
water and when they get back. It provides extra information on one's
surroundings passively and users are constantly finding new ways to use this
extra information.

The BuzzClip is currently available to pre-order through a crowdfunding
campaign on Indiegogo. For the next 15 days, we are offering Early Bird
BuzzClips at a discounted price of $129 USD. After this campaign ends on
November 22nd, the final batch of BuzzClips will be manufactured and shipped to
our supporters by March of 2016.
More information/videos on our product can be found here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-buzzclip-wearable-ultrasound-for-the-blind/x/11673979#/

The link above is our Indiegogo page address and Indiegogo is one of the
largest Crowdfunding websites in the world that is based in the United States
just like Kickstarter.
If you have any difficulty navigating through the campaign page, the Indiegogo
app on the iphone is completely accessible and incase you want to order an
Early Bird BuzzClip, here is the direct link to place an order:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-buzzclip-wearable-ultrasound-for-the-blind/contributions/new/#/contribute?perk_amt=129

<https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-buzzclip-wearable-ultrasound-for-the-blind/contributions/new/#/contribute?perk_amt=129&perk_id=3095246>
&perk_id=3095246
You can also hear our spotlight interview on Cool Blind Tech as well as on
Blind Bargains Qast 39 for more info.

A lot of effort was put into optimizing the user experience of the device.
Limiting it to 1m and 2m modes reduces false positives and only provides
vibratory feedback if there are obstacles or people in your path or coming
directly at you. The device goes to sleep if you are at a fixed distance for
over a few seconds so that it doesn't constantly vibrate if you are talking to
someone for example. It reactivates again if the distance changes for more than
10 cm. So once it is switched on, the user can simply carry on their usual
routine without the need to operate the device constantly. The battery will
last for a full days use (10 hours) on a single charge and it is rechargeable
through a Micro-USB cable. (just like android phones)

The Buzzclip is slightly larger than a lighter. The enclosure is made entirely
of aluminum so that it is water resistant and durable and also very
aesthetically pleasing. The device consists of 3 main sections, a sensor arm
that is circular and smaller than the size of an iPod nano in terms of area. It
is connected to the battery enclosure by a metallic spring clip that is similar
to the ones on pocket knifes and multi-tools. The main body is rectangular with
rounded edges and is roughly the size of a lighter. The micro-USB charging port
is on the side of the main body. On the back of the main body is the vibration
motor arm which is spring-loaded for when one is wearing loose clothing. The
entire unit has a finish that is similar to the look and feel of the Apple TV
remote. When it is worn, the only part that will be exposed is the circular
sensor arm.

Hope this information helps and is useful to some of you. If you have any
questions for us, we would be happy to answer them.
The Founders names are Bin Liu and Arjun Mali and you can reach them at +1
(647) 919 6565 for Bin and +1 (647) 919 9269 for Arjun.
You can also contact us at info@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank You & Best Regards,

Arjun Mali
Co-Founder & Chief Financial Officer