[tabi] FW: GW Micro Introduces the First Stand-Alone Video Magnifier that can Read to the Legally Blind!

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:05:04 -0400

  _____

From: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:54 PM
To: gw-info@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: GW Micro Introduces the First Stand-Alone Video Magnifier that can
Read to the Legally Blind!

GW Micro is proud to announce a major innovation in low vision technology.
The Orabis and the Vocatex are the first HD video magnifiers (also known as
CCTVs) that recognize text and read it back to you - all without a computer.

Low vision consumers have long been plagued with eye fatigue derived from
having to read everything on their CCTV screen. In fact, many consumers of
video magnifiers are only able to read for a very short period of time.  The
Orabis and Vocatex distributed by GW Micro now solve the problems CCTV users
have had for decades by reading the magnified text out loud and eliminating
the need to stare at the screen for long periods of time.

"Before the Orabis and the Vocatex, it was very difficult to read printed
material on a CCTV for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time," said Jeremy
Curry, Director of Training for GW Micro. Curry suffers from Cone Dystrophy,
a retinal degenerative eye condition. "For someone with an eye condition
similar to mine, such as Macular Degeneration or other eye diseases that
cause low vision, the Orabis and the Vocatex are miracle machines. I can now
put printed text under the CCTV, press a button, sit back and let the
machine read to me." In addition to speaking the text, a focus rectangle
follows each word as it is spoken making it simple for a low vision consumer
to see exactly where they are in the document. There are no special modes to
go in and out of. The image a low vision consumer sees is exactly how the
text appears to a sighted person.

The Orabis and the Vocatex do not require a computer. They consist of the
CCTV with a monitor mounted on top. The Vocatex was first released in
Belgium on October 2, 2009, making it the world's first talking CCTV that
shows the magnified image and reads at the same time. Both units were
created by KOBA Vision, a Belgium firm who has been providing high-end low
vision solutions for over 25 years. "We are extremely happy to have GW Micro
as our North American distributor," said Bart Peremans, Director of Sales
and Marketing for KOBA Vision. "We believe the Orabis and the Vocatex
provide the best possible solution for our low vision customers. The Vocatex
has been extremely successful throughout Europe, and we are very excited to
bring it to North America."

"This is a technology revolution in the world of low vision," said Dan
Weirich, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for GW Micro. "It's amazing
that a person who is legally blind can use this simple machine to read
printed material just by pressing a button and having the machine instantly
read to them."

The Vocatex was the first talking video magnifier created by KOBA Vision.
The patented technology was then used to create the Orabis. The Orabis
boasts many of the same features of the Vocatex, and is the entry-level unit
in the new series. The Orabis provides HD video, and comes with a large
22-inch widescreen monitor with a minimum magnification of 2x and includes
22 different languages and has 32 high-quality human-sounding voices from
Nuance.

For low vision consumers who need a larger monitor, they can step up to the
Vocatex, which comes with a 26, 32, or 37-inch monitor.  The Vocatex comes
in two models: the Vocatex and Vocatex Plus. Both Vocatex models are HD, and
the Vocatex Plus comes with multiple languages (just like the Orabis), the
ability to move by sentence with speech, a lower magnification starting
point, and many more options.

If you would like to check our YouTube video that showcases these innovative
new products, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYcfVG4SxOk.

For pricing, specifications, and other information, call GW Micro at (260)
489-3671, email GW Micro at sales@xxxxxxxxxxx, or check out GW Micro on the
web at www.gwmicro.com.

GW Micro has been a trusted pioneer in the adaptive technology industry
since 1990, and continues to lead with innovative, customer driven
solutions.

KOBA Vision is a Belgium-based company that provides high-end solutions to
customers with low vision, and continues to lead the industry in low vision
innovation.

Contact:
Dan Weirich, Vice President of Sales and Marketing
dan@xxxxxxxxxxx