[swn] Schemer's Gazette 7

  • From: MJ Ray <mjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <swn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:36:22 +0100

Subject: Compiler Messages
From: http://mjr.towers.org.uk/

Another bumper bundle of Scheme-related software and conference
announcements for you. Well done and keep them coming! MJR
(Hint: step through by looking for ^From: or similar, perhaps.)

- International Lisp Conference, June 2005
- European Lisp & Scheme Workshop
- SRFI 71: Extended LET-syntax for multiple values
- Datastructs v0.23
- datastructs v0.24
- Scheme Web Server Tutorial
- Withdrawn SRFI 65: DEFINE-IMMUTABLE
- Scheme needs you ! (Letter of support needed for PLT project to
- Simpler Hygienic Macros and Simpler Modules
- STklos 0.70 Release
- more eggs available
- SQLI/SQLD v0.32
- log4scm v0.20
- log4scm v0.31
- Reusing XML Processing Code in non-XML Applications
- ACM SIGPLAN 2005 Workshop on Scheme and Functional Programming

From: Nick Levine <ndl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: International Lisp Conference, June 2005

International Lisp Conference, Stanford University, June 19-22 2005
    http://international-lisp-conference.org

The Association of Lisp Users is pleased to announce that Stanford
University will host the next International Lisp Conference between
June 19 and 22.  ILC 2005 marks the 25th anniversary of the seminal
1980 Lisp conference held at Stanford in August of 1980.

We look forward to seeing you at Stanford!

Credit cards and PayPal are accepted. Simply visit
    http://international-lisp-conference.org/registration.html

From: Pascal Costanza <pc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: European Lisp & Scheme Workshop

Here are some news with regard to the 2nd European Lisp and Scheme
Workshop in Glasgow, Scotland on July 26, 2005.

- Richard Gabriel (http://www.dreamsongs.com) has agreed to give a
keynote talk at the workshop. Title and abstract will be announced at
the workshop website soon.

- The early registration deadline for ECOOP 2005 is June 13, 2005.
Before that date, the fees for participating at the workshop should be
considerably lower. However, the fee structure hasn't been announced
yet. This will (hopefully) happen during the next few days at
http://2005.ecoop.org/fees.html

Please watch the workshop website at http://lisp-ecoop05.bknr.net during
the next one or two weeks for more updates.

From: srfi-editors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SRFI 71: Extended LET-syntax for multiple values

This announces the availability for discussion of
Scheme Request for Implementation 71
"Extended LET-syntax for multiple values"
by Sebastian Egner.

Its draft and an archive of the ongoing discussion is available at
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-71/

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema <hdnews@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Datastructs v0.23

http://www.elemental-programming.org/epwiki/scheme%20datastructures

I've released 'datastructs' version 0.23, which
provides a couple of datastructures for mzscheme.

Changes: Added set-filter function.

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema <hdnews@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: datastructs v0.24

I've released 'datastructs' version 0.24, which
provides a couple of datastructures for mzscheme.

Changes:

     - Fixed bug in sets.scm, set-from-set function would use 'cadr'
instead of 'cdr'.
     - Added set-for-each.

More information can be found at:

http://www.elemental-programming.org/epwiki/scheme%20datastructures

From: drcode@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Scheme Web Server Tutorial

I've finally had a chance to improve my Scheme Web Server Tutorial
enough to permanently put it online- I mentioned it here before last
fall.

http://www.lisperati.com

It gives every single linux/scheme/java command you need to run to end
up with a functioning, if very simplistic, Scheme web server.

The tutorial is called:

"The Quick And Dirty Guide For Building, Programming, and Hosting Your
Own Debian Linux, Tomcat, and SISC Scheme Web Server in 30 Minutes and
for 30 Dollars Without a Headache"

From: srfi-editors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Withdrawn SRFI 65: DEFINE-IMMUTABLE: A Syntax to Define Identifiers
With Immutable Values
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 09:20:12 +0200 (DFT)

This announces that
Scheme Request for Implementation 65
"DEFINE-IMMUTABLE: A Syntax to Define Identifiers With Immutable Values"
by Andrew Wilcox.
has gone into ``withdrawn'' status.

The document and an archive of the discussion is available at
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-65/

From: Caligula <rambam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Scheme needs you ! (Letter of support needed for PLT project to

Taken from the Lambda site.

PLT Needs You! [...]
So, if you have used DrScheme/MzScheme/MrEd/Web Server etc for research or
 advanced development and you don't want the project to die, could you
please send a short one-page, signed letter of support to me c/o
Eli Barzilay on some formal looking letter head please? The letter
should state what you do, where you work, and that you have used PLT Scheme
for research and advanced development. If you are so inclined, you can also
add that it is critical and what you have done with it.

Matthias Felleisen
c/o Eli Barzilay
Trustee Professor
College of Computer Science
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115

The deadline for letters of support is 1 July 2005.

From: Andre <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Simpler Hygienic Macros and Simpler Modules

I am announcing the release of version 0.9 of
   "Simpler Hygienic Macros and Simpler Modules"

Full information and downloads may be found at:
  http://www.het.brown.edu/people/andre/macros/index.htm

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: STklos 0.70 Release

This is an announce for the 0.70 release of STklos.

STklos is a free Scheme System (nearly) conform to R5RS. The aim of this
implementation is to be fast as well as light. The implementation is
based on an ad-hoc Virtual Machine. STklos can also be compiled as a
library, so that one can easily embeds it in an application.

Changes in this release:

    The main changes in this release are: a new back-trace system, a
    conform call/cc/dynamic-wind implementation and some performance
    enhancements.
    * Documentation updated
    * Bug fixes

Homepage/Download: See http://www.stklos.net/

From: CHICKEN News
Subject: more eggs available

ppi - Use parallel port on FreeBSD (by Michal Dybisbanski)
protobj - Prototype-based object system (by Neil van Dyke)
vector-lib - updated to finalized SRFI spec (by Zbigniew Szadkowski)
imlib2 - Imlib2 interface (by Peter Bex)
phoghorn - thumbnail gallery for spiffy (by Peter Bex)
qthack - leightweight Qt interface (by felix)

Enjoy.

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema <hdnews@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SQLI/SQLD v0.32

I've released version 0.32 of the SQLI/SQLD package for
bigloo and mzscheme. The main changes are for mzscheme
this release:

- Bug fixes for the sqlite driver, because a ready flag
   was initialized too late.

More information:

http://www.elemental-programming.org/epwiki/Bigloo%20SQLI.html

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema <hdnews@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: log4scm v0.20

I've released 'log4scm' version 0.20, which
provides a logging facility for mzscheme.

Changes in this release:

2005-05-19:
     Added a log-mode, which consists of 'copy or 'reference.
     Defaults to 'reference.

More information can be found at:
http://www.elemental-programming.org/epwiki/log4scm.html

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema <hdnews@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: log4scm v0.31

I've released 'log4scm' version 0.31, which
provides a logging facility for mzscheme.

Changes in this release:

2005-06-05:
         Added log-sync, which syncs the current log.
         Had to release the thread-cell stuff, because it caused
         problems with multiple threads. Some threads would not
         log anymore.

From: Oleg  Paraschenko <olepar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reusing XML Processing Code in non-XML Applications

I'd like to introduce an article which might be of some interest:
Reusing XML Processing Code in non-XML Applications
HTML: http://uucode.com/texts/genxml/genxml.html
PDF:  http://uucode.com/texts/genxml/genxml.pdf

  XML can be considered as a representation of hierarchical
data, and the XML-related standards - as methods of processing
such data. We describe benefits of XML view on legacy data and
its processing, and suggest a method to develop XML tools and
make them reusable for different tree-like structures in
different programming languages.
  Our approach is to use virtual machine technology, in
particular, the Scheme programming language. We're taking the
unusual step of using the Scheme syntax itself as a native
virtual machine language. Together with the SXML format and
Scheme implementations tuning, it gives us the XML virtual
machine (XML VM).

From: Michael Sperber <sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ACM SIGPLAN 2005 Workshop on Scheme and Functional Programming

                          CALL FOR PAPERS

    ACM SIGPLAN 2005 Workshop on Scheme and Functional Programming
                http://www.deinprogramm.de/scheme-2005/
                          Tallinn, Estonia

Submission Deadline: June 13, 2005, 0:00 UTC
Author notfication:  July 29, 2005
Final paper due:     August 22, 2005, 0:00 UTC

The 2005 Scheme Workshop provides a forum for discussing experience
with and future development of the Scheme programming language. The
scope of the workshop includes all aspects of the design,
implementation, theory, and application of Scheme. Past workshops have
been held in Snowbird (2004), Boston (2003), Pittsburgh (2002), Florence
(2001), and Montr=E9al (2000). We encourage everyone interested in
Scheme to participate.

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/