[SFGS] Ancestry monthly update

  • From: ludechem@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gs members sunflower <sunflowergs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 19:54:42 +0000 (UTC)

        This email was sent to you by Ancestry.com . To ensure delivery, please
add
Ancestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to your address book or safe list.
                ANCESTRY.COM    FAMILY TREES    SEARCH  COLLABORATE
LEARNING CENTER         DNA     PUBLISH         Ancestry.com | Monthly Update
                – May 2011 –
        A 1902 wedding. From the Ancestry.com Library of Congress Photo
Collection
        Holy Matrimony!
Where to Find Clues to Wedded Bliss
BY MARY PENNER
        Even when all of the signs seem to indicate that a certain
great-great-aunt was married, it can still be tough trying to determine when,
where, with whom and how many times she tied the knot. It's even tougher when
marriage records are AWOL from a county courthouse or when you just don't know
where to look.

It turns out there are great sources at Ancestry.com that hold clues to past
trips down the aisle. Here are five of my favorites. Read more .
                        New Records at Ancestry.com             New World
Deluxe Records .
Not a World Deluxe Member? to upgrade today.
                London, England, Crisp's Marriage Licence Index, 1713-1892
These marriage licences from parishes around London in the 18th and 19th
centuries, gathered by Frederick Arthur Crisp, allowed a couple to marry
without banns
        being read or published three weeks before the marriage took place. It
was the upper or landed classes who didn't want their private affairs broadcast
to the masses, that adopted marriage by licence, but the practice gradually
became popular with the middle and working classes as a status symbol.
                Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1906

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Burials, 1813-1974

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Confirmations, 1859-1921
        Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms,
Marriages and Burials, 1659-1812
What do former British Prime Minister William Gladstone, Jack the Ripper
suspect and murder victim James Maybrick, and Victoria Cross-recipient William
Ratcliffe have in common? Liverpool, England. Your own Liverpudlian ancestors
may not be as famous, but they may have left their mark on these Church of
England parish records.
                Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Baptisms, 1802-1906

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Marriages, 1754-1921

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Burials, 1813-1988

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Confirmations, 1813-1920
A 1559 act made the Church of England the official state church, which meant
tough times for Roman Catholics until the Catholic Relief Act of 1829.
Liverpool has historically been home to one the largest Catholic populations in
England, including thousands of Irish immigrants. And Ancestry.com is now the
proud home of more than a million Liverpool Catholic parish records.
        Did you know Ancestry.com searches for hints in your family tree – even
when you're not researching?
Learn More
                JUST LAUNCHED
                New Civil War records
                London marriages
                Liverpool church records
                And more
                IN THIS ISSUE
        Can Anne find someone using just a name and a town?
        Now - save without duplicates
        Watch Ancestry.com experts tackle Civil War research
                SHARE with a friend
                FOLLOW US on Twitter
                FIND US on Facebook
                ASK ANCESTRY ANNE
        Question: "I have all my grandfather's records but am stumped about my
grandmother, Era Thompson. She came from a small community north of Nashville -
White House, Tennessee. Can you help me get started?" -Harriette Hobdy Wilson
Read answer
        SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS

                OTHER RESOURCES
        Ancestry.com Online Classes
Ancestry.com Learning Center
Ancestry.com Blog
        Questions? 1-800-ANCESTRY
        Feedback
        Have some records or
features you’d like to see
on Ancestry.com ? We’d like to hear about it.
        E–MAIL YOUR SUGGESTIONS
                                TOP

                COMING SOON
        •       Over There. And now over here, too : Our soon-to-be-released
military collections pay respect to 20th-century U.S. heroes. Watch for their
arrival later this month.
        •       Thinking of Dear Old Dad : Watch for the June edition of the
Ancestry Monthly Update , where you'll learn our favorite resources for finding
out more about the dads in your family tree. Plus read Anne's answer, learn
about all of the new content at Ancestry.com and more.
        •       A Fine Parish in England : More parish records from the UK are
on deck this spring as well as updates to some of our most popular UK
collections. You'll find more details in our June issue of the Ancestry Monthly
Update .

                New Civil War Collections at Ancestry.com

                U.S. Military Cemeteries Collection, 1862-2010
To create our one-of-a-kind U.S. Military Cemeteries Collection, we sent
Ancestry.com crews to photograph headstones from 34 National Cemeteries where
Civil War burials make up a large portion of the graves. Included in the
collection are Gettysburg, Antietam, Shiloh, Vicksburg and more.

U.S. Confederate Pension Records, 1884-1958 With the end of the Civil War came
the end of the Confederate States of America. This meant that Confederate
veterans, unlike Union troops, had no central government to look to for
pensions. Pensions were administered on a state level based on the veteran's
current residence rather than the state in which he enlisted. Pension
applications from Texas and Virginia make up the initial records in this
database. And, according to the Library of Virginia, the Virginia records
include applications from "more than 500 African Americans who had worked as
cooks, herdsmen, laborers, servants, or teamsters in the Confederate army."

Arkansas Confederate Pension Records, 1891-1935 Arkansas began offering
pensions in 1891. Widows and mothers of veterans became eligible in 1915. This
collection from the Arkansas History Commission (AHC) provides details
extracted from Arkansas Confederate pension records collected by the State
Pension Board in the years 1891-1939.

Alabama, Confederate Pension and Service Records, 1862-1947 Alabama began
providing pensions to disabled Confederate veterans in 1867. Pensions were
later made available to widows and indigent veterans. FYI, pensioners were
placed into four classes reflecting the severity of disability or need, with
Class 1 being the most serious. Widows were included among the 4th class.

U.S., Confederate Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 Compiled service records
(CSRs) are files of cards that abstract original military records of an
individual soldier and can provide you a quick view of an ancestor's military
service.

New York, Town Clerks' Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, 1861-1865
An 1865 New York law required town clerks to make a record of all soldiers from
New York who served with Union troops during the Civil War. Included was Lyons
Wakeman, who enlisted with the 153rd New York Volunteers in Root, Montgomery
County, in 1862. Except Lyons was actually Sarah Rosetta Wakeman, who had
already been earning a living as a boatman — disguised as a man — before she
enlisted to fight for the Union. You'll find her and others in this collection.

New York, Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, 1861-1900 Nowadays, Elmer Ellsworth
and the First Fire Zouaves might sound more like a circus act than a Civil
War-era infantry regiment. But Ellsworth, a personal friend to Lincoln, was the
first well-known Union casualty of the Civil War, and his Zouave unit made up
of volunteer firefighters (the 11th New York) helped capture Alexandria within
a day of Virginia's secession. They're just some of the soldiers in this
collection, which also includes records for 20th, 26th and 31st regiments of
U.S. Colored Troops.
        U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 It wasn't just
Northerners who fought for the Union. These CSRs include volunteer Union
soldiers who served with units organized in more than 20 states and
territories, including states in the Confederacy. Among them are Confederate
POWs who later served with the Union Army, known as "Galvanized Yankees."
        Kansas Civil War Enlistment Papers, 1861, 1863, 1868 With a standing
army of about 16,000 as the Civil War began, the Union was in desperate need of
soldiers. The new state of Kansas was quick to answer the call. The men in this
collection volunteered to serve for up to three years, agreeing to accept "such
bounty, pay, rations, and clothing, as are, or may be, established by law for
volunteers." Plus an examining surgeon certified them fit for service, and the
recruiting officer affirmed that volunteers were sober when they enlisted.
        Alabama, Census of Confederate Soldiers, 1907,1921 Alabama made at
least two counts of Confederate veterans in the state. A 1907 census was taken
to create "a final and permanent alphabetical record" of Confederate soldiers
living in Alabama. In 1921, the Alabama Pensions Commission sent out
questionnaires to prepare "a permanent roll of pensioners of the State, giving
as full information as possible as to the service of the soldiers who are on
the pension roll and of the husbands of widows who are drawing a pension from
the State."
        U.S., Civil War Draft Registration Records, 1863-1865 As the Civil War
dragged toward its third year, President Lincoln signed the Enrollment Act in
March 1863 to supply more troops to the Union army. The law subjected men ages
20-45 to a draft. In the end, bounties for enlistment offered by federal,
state, and local governments ensured that most Union troops were volunteers,
but the consolidated lists of potential draftees for 27 states filled more than
600 registers — now indexed and at your fingertips on Ancestry.com .
Going to War

Our latest additions to the growing Anne Bromell collection of New Zealand
records on Ancestry.com include the following nine databases of
military-related records:
New Zealand Army WWI Roll of Honour, 1914-1919
New Zealand Army Medal Rolls, 1860-1919
New Zealand WWI Military Defaulters, 1919-1921
New Zealand Army WWI Nominal Rolls, 1914-1918
New Zealand Army WWII Nominal Rolls, 1939-1948
New Zealand Army WWI Reserve Rolls, 1916-1917
New Zealand Army WWI Casualty Lists, 1914-1919
The Defenders of New Zealand
Chronicles of the N.Z.E.F., 1916-1919

                Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922 - UPDATE
Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985 - UPDATE
Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950 - UPDATE
A quick update to our birth, marriage and death collections Down Under this
month includes records pertaining to the Whitehurst children, shown here
(right) on their Nabawa, Western Australia, homestead.

California, Pioneer and Immigrant Files, 1790-1950 California became a state in
1850, and in 1860 the federal census tallied the state population at almost
380,000, a more than four-fold increase in a little more than a decade. These
questionnaires provide details on pioneers who arrived in California before
1860. With no transcontinental railroad, all came overland or by ship, and they
arrived just in time to help build a new state.

U.S. Returns from Regular Army Infantry Regiments, 1821-1916 These monthly
reports list the strength of each army infantry regiment, including total
numbers of men present, absent, sick, or on extra daily duty, as well as
reporting on officers and some categories of enlisted men by name. Later
returns included numbers of horses and artillery (though no horses were listed
by name).

Salina, New York, Miscellaneous Records, 1805-1969 Included in these details
from Salina are records pertaining to town finances, infrastructure, property,
elections, the town board, board of health, military service, businesses, court
records and the Salina school board.

        Germany, Langenstein-Zwieberge Concentration Camp Inmate Cards,
1944-1945
This small group of records (kept on cards cut from cigarette boxes) identifies
inmates from the Langenstein-Zwieberge concentration camp, located near
Halberstadt, Germany. Langenstein-Zwieberge was a subcamp of Buchenwald and
housed about 5,000 men of 17 different nationalities. The camp was liberated on
11 April 1945.

        New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences,
1830-1849, 1853-1860 See the actual licenses in this collection, which gave
establishments the right to sell any of a number of items ranging from alcohol
to confections, although most were for public houses or pubs.

        U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 - UPDATE In June 1914,
five-year-old Margarethe Prawatschke left New York City to see her
grandparents. It turned into a long visit. On the Affidavit to Explain
Protracted Foreign Residence and to Overcome Presumption of Expatriation filed
with her 1920 emergency passport application, Margarethe explained what
happened: "I came to Germany with my mother to visit her parents, the war broke
out and it was impossible for me to travel alone, as my mother was afraid to
travel, I had to remain here with her." You'll find Margarethe's story and
others in this latest update to our U.S. Passport Applications.

        Kent, England, Tyler Collection of Miscellaneous Notes and Pedigrees of
Kent Families Welcome to Frank Watt Tyler's family history file cabinet. If
your family comes from East Kent and crosses paths with Tyler's work there,
count yourself lucky. This database includes hundreds of books, with notes,
pedigrees, bonds, wills, correspondence, documents and other genealogical
material Tyler made and gathered over his career. This is an image-first
collection.

                NEW TOOLS ON ANCESTRY.COM
Saving Records to Your Tree
        Saving a record to someone in your family tree but it's being suggested
as a new person instead? Prevent a duplicate entry by selecting "Not a New
Person" then choose from the list to attach the details to their rightful
owner. You can also use this brand-new feature to connect a record that's
suggested for the wrong relative. Select "Incorrect Match," then choose the
person it really should be connected to. Learn more here .
                                TOP

Getting Answers

        World Memory Project - How You Can Help
Ancestry.com has partnered with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum to
create the World Memory Project, where the keystrokes of contributors around
the world will help current and future generations discover more about victims
and survivors of the Holocaust and Nazi persecution during World War II. Learn
more about the project and how you can get involved at
www.worldmemoryproject.org .

        Take a FREE online class.
Anytime.

Ancestry.com offers on-demand online classes.

Choose from the First Steps series or watch a class that's targeted to your
specific research quest, including finding your Irish ancestors, using military
records, researching common surnames or tracing female lines.

To view the full list of classes, click here .
                        What Would the Experts Do?
One of the great things about experts is that they've been there, done that -
and now they know what works. Plus they're willing to share their experience
with you. That's exactly what you'll find in this short video about finding
Civil War ancestors: Ancestry.com experts with plenty of great advice. Pick up
a few new tricks by watching now .
        MY STORY
                "Carry Me Back to Old Virginia."
        BY MILES SNYDER
BORN AND RAISED ON THE PRAIRIES OF ILLINOIS.
                Several years ago I was looking for the Civil War history of my
great-grandfather, Henry Morgan Milton. His daughter - my grandmother - always
said he was born in Virginia, then came to Brown County, Indiana in 1843 as a
child, with his parents and other siblings. I knew he had marched with Sherman,
"From Atlanta to the Sea", so I was trying to find his regiment. The war
department said there was a Henry Milton who fought with the 25th Indiana
Infantry, but he was born in North Carolina, so it probably wasn't my
great-grandfather.

Wrong. The censuses of 1850 and 1860 said he was born in Virginia, but the 1870
census said his birthplace was North Carolina, as did the 1870 censuses of his
siblings. Why the change? Read more .