[sugpro] Re: More on Arcas

  • From: "Steve Peterson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("steve_peterson")
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 06:47:42 -0800

On 1/2/24 9:22 AM, Richard Nakka wrote:

 I am somewhat surprised at the low efficiency of the Arcas rocket, having an efficiency of only 7.5 ft/N-s (note: I calculated 6.4), considering it had a very respectable mass fraction of 56% and a long (29 sec) burn time. Curious, why do you suppose the Arcas efficiency is low?

I have some additional comments on Arcas efficiency, especially in connection with Figure 4.

In the Arcas development report, there is a graph of velocity vs. time that looks very similar to the curve of the pure end-burner in my Figure 4. The similarity between the two curves is not too surprising since Arcas is a pure end-burner. Both curves feature a long ramp up, very triangular shape. In Figure 4, I show that by changing the thrust profile to have a higher initial thrust, the velocity profile changes to one that produces greater altitude than is produced by a pure end-burner.

The Arcas developers tried to get around this low initial velocity by using a piston launcher, and spent a lot of time, apparently, trying to get the initial velocity to be higher by modifying the piston apparatus (primarily to control dispersion, not to gain additional altitude), but the initial velocity (especially when compared with the peak velocity) was still very low. It may be that a higher initial thrust would have produced a velocity curve that would have resulted in higher altitude which would have improved the efficiency. It also might not have helped all that much if it resulted in high velocity at low altitude, thereby increasing the drag. Without a lot of simulation, it isn't easy to see how the tradeoffs would have worked out.

Another thought that occurred to me is that mass fraction, which can be a very useful measure, is only one measure (that of how efficiently structural mass is being used) and won't describe all there is to know about a rocket and how it might fly. One could, for instance, have a high mass fraction with a lousy aerodynamic design that would result in a poorly performing rocket. In the case of Arcas, they did change the nosecone L/D ratio from 1.5 calibers to 4.5 calibers because the drag with the shorter nosecone was too high to achieve the desired altitude. It's not clear whether further refinement was considered, but it's important to realize that the issue was to meet a certain altitude requirement, not to achieve the highest possible altitude.

Finally, they used spin stabilization which is known to hurt altitude. The other rockets in my comparison table were not spin-stabilized, so if that did have an impact, it would hurt Arcas by comparison.

--Steve