[sugpro] Re: How's The Sugar World?

  • From: Vertical Limits <sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 20:45:33 +0100

A friend of mine is working on a 30.000Ns KNSB motor / rocket. 130mm
minimum diameter rocket due for launch end of next month. It uses the nose
cone and recovery gear from my Intimidator 5. Casing is 130x5mm tube -
length 1800mm. The length of casing was limited to 1800mm due to the lathe
being 1800mm from the wall :).

I'm currently working on a 98mm Cesaroni 6XL clone on 10.000Ns candy
reloads (and a 300m shortened version which fits my I5) - see attachment.
With clone I mean similar in outer dimensions, this will give me some
practice runs before trying the real deal on a N5800 or O3400 minimum
diameter bird. The clone motor is far from optimized as the casing is made
from 100x5 aluminium tube which is machined down to 98,3mm. It weighs a ton
but that's OK. Aluminium bulkhead and full graphite nozzle with divergent
extension in the aluminium nozzle retainer.

Also working on a new vacuum casting set up now the grains and batches are
getting bigger and bigger (up to 3kg). After some inspiration on the
Candy-O-Matic from PK tried to do something similar. Bought
a single induction plate. Anybody got some experience with melting candy on
an induction plate?, how would it handle KNSB + RIO (especially the RIO
part being heated by induction? Furthermore a 6l pressure cooker and now
sourcing for a 300x300x25mm polycarbonate lid but this stuff is very
expensive. Got a 12V window wiper motor at hand to automate the stirring
but will first try manual stirring (small steps). Ordered the materials for
a DIY vacuum feed trough <http://www.verticallimits.nl/?p=1979>- not sure
if that will work out with a inverse positioned radial shaft seal. Radial
shaft seal can withstand up to 0,5bar (my pumps usually pulls -0,85bar
max). I understood the seal can handle higher pressures but the "lip" will
be pressed harder against the shaft which results in more friction / wear.
I only will be going 15-30rpm. Still working on the paddle design - any
suggestions. Progress is very slow but we're getting there.

Since we're updating. Also copied a set up I saw a long time ago on SS2S to
accurately drill evenly spaced radial holes. It comprises of a cheap 80mm
Chinese dividing table, DIY expandable mandrel which fits in my hollow
spindle and a Proxxon long neck drill (a bit to light for the job) fitted
in the tool post.

I will be planning to fly my I5 again on the same launch as the 130mm
minimum diameter rocket end of April but this time on a 6.000NS KNSB RIO
reload. Would be interested to compare against the previous KNSB and KNDX
flights (which cooked my st st nozzle). However priority is on the 30k Ns
flight which also need to land safely or I will not have a NC or recovery
gear.

VL

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx