[ST:FAB] Re: [Sun][80802.09] Next Showcase: Watership Down!

  • From: Vale Kinomoto <ranchangirl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <stfab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:48:52 -0500

Any word on who is going to captain this yet? And if this was last Sunday then
sorry, I didn't mean to miss it. I really wanted to be a part of the showcase
for this one.

To: stfab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST:FAB] [Sun][80802.09] Next Showcase: Watership Down!
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:17:22 -0500
From: loverobin@xxxxxxx

read it over again.. im still in the creative-flux phase, so some details might
waffle for a bit...

------------

Sunday 2-hour timeslot from 9pm-11pm est, AIM Room = Showcase

whats the deal?  this...  it will be a series of rps set in some of the sims
that i have developed and are either on the shelf or on hiatus, and each will
only last a couple of weeks, a month tops... *if* after that there exists
enough interest in them sim petitions will be accepted for permanent status,
meaning crews and timeslot

in a departure from the way fab operates the rest of the sims, this will be
more like the usual *temporary* rps in that character names will be discouraged
during the Sunday sims, only generic labels such as "captain," etc.. also we
shall use [post] prefixes for each line...

that is not to say that if you *desire* to risk dedicating a character to that
particular sim-concept that you cant do so... discuss it with me in advance...

------------

Next up?

View full size

next up on the showcase after SAR Prize! runs its course will be:

Watership Down!

"Watership Down" is the code for a downed or otherwise missing waterborne
vessel.

Starfleet is a United Services Starfleet, as indicated by the USS prefix.  This
sim explores one of those services, the StarFISH "wet navy" branch, Starfleet
Fluidic Immersion, Seas & Harbors.  Wet navy vessels are called waterships to
differentiate them from starships. Names written on the hulls as "USS" are
spoken as "WSS" because computer notation for submersibles is "U(nderwater)USS"
- or "Double-U-SS" - plus W is for Water.

---------------

View full size

On the water planet Aquatis, the WSS Downstream, a Downrigger-class
Super-Cavitation Submersible (non-Trek, RL technical discussions: 1 2  ) on a
recovery mission salvaging parts of a scuttled starship, encounters a
Species-8472 "beachhead" and portal to Fluidic Space.  During a pitched battle,
the Downstream closes the portal by destroying the generator on the other side,
trapping themselves there.

Never meant to operate under interstellar conditions and ranges, they
nonetheless retro-fit themselves with the salvaged starship components and set
off to seek a way home....

------------

View full size

Notations:

Fluidic Space will be getting some expansion to its nature. Canon episodes have
stated it as being a fluidic medium with carbon as the most prevalent element,
as opposed to hydrogen in our space.  As seen from Voyager's viewscreen, there
was no visible stars or major planetary bodies, someone may correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't remember it being *stated empirically* that FS lacked such
features.  Even if it was, depending upon who said it and under what
circumstances, it could have been incomplete information.  For now I shall
content myself for FAB purposes that what Voyager saw onscreen, and was in, at
the time is a Dimensional Interphasic Space(DIS) between Fluidic Space Realm
and our universe, and NOT the actual Fluidic Space itself.  FS will have many
interesting features

View full size

Aquatis is a complete waterworld with zero surface landmass, however from an
examination of the native species alone all indications are that at some point
in their forgotten past dry land existed.  This has been confirmed by the
existence of extensive remains of cities on many stretches of seafloor.

The FISH service is considered by many in Starfleet as one of the Red-headed
Stepchildren of the service.  Since most who join Starfleet wish to pursue
careers in space, most of those assigned to FISH are generally not among the
top graded.  Therefore many in FISH are of mediocre skill levels.  This is not
to say that ALL are, as some proudly DO select the service.

View full size

In addition to the Manta- and Sting- ray support craft, the Downstream also
carries a "school" of seaBIRDS which look much like their air- and StarBIRD
cousins, ie, underwater jet fighters.

FISH Marines have the "official unofficial" designation of Aquamarines.

Trekizing the RL concept of super-cavitation(s-cav) will involve low-level
warpfields(for their lowering of local area mass effects) and deflectors, and
impulse drives.  Essentially at s-cav speeds the sub is "flying" thru a bubble
of vapor or vacuum rather than the thicker water medium.  That these lower
grade systems exist already allows for up-rating them to accept starship grade
components.

The Downrigger-class is borrowed wholesale from the anime Full Metal Panic!'s
Tuatha de Danaan TDD-1.  I love this sub, but if anyone can present a different
design, I'd love to see it.  As seen in the FMP series, the TDD-1 is speced
with a hull design of  218m by 44m, not

including the "fins", which on ours would fold closer to the hull as it speeds
up to s-cav.  Downriggers might be slightly larger... and I should point out
that the TDD-1 is NOT mentioned to be a s-cav capable sub.

I'm also considering the class name of Plesiosaur.

USS Tsunami players, please take note:  While much of the above is true of the
entire FISH service, and offers excellent additional background to your sim as
well, the USS Tsunami's Riptide-class vessels are Submersible Starships and NOT
super-cav subs.  They are built around a completely different set of technology
applications, and why the Tsu is still considered a USS rather than WSS.
Contact me directly for any questions, or about what can or cannot be mixed and
matched.

Also, I shall consider a Downrigger-class(or Plesiosaur-class) spin-off sim in
Aquarius as well.  Contact me if you have the desire and a crew.

Comments on everything so far are welcomed.

More new features than ever.  Check out the new AOL Mail!