[steem] Xsteem + laptop sound

  • From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:26:11 -0400

Greetings:

  Inspired by success running Xsteem on my desktop machine I decided to
try it on my laptop, an HP Omnibook 4150. I was actually interested in
finding whether I could route the MIDI output from programs like M and
Tunesmith to TiMidity++ acting as an ALSA sequencer server. This command
line:

        timidity -iA -B2,8

sets up TiMidity++ to act as a sound server for any ALSA-aware client.
ALSA also provides a virtual MIDI driver, creating /dev/midi1 through
/dev/midi4. By selecting /dev/midi1 in the MIDI port selection dialog in
Xsteem I was able to drive a set of GUS (Gravis Ultrasound) patches from
M, Tunesmith, Autobusk, and a variety of other Atari MIDI progs, all on
my laptop with no dedicated MIDI hardware (the laptop's sound system is
based on a CS4232 chipset). Btw, for best results as a server TiMidity++
should be launched as root, it gets SCHED_FIFO status that way. Note
also that I used the alsa-patch-bay to connect /dev/midi1 (virtual MIDI
0) to the TiMidity port (alsa-patch-bay is a GUI for ALSA's aconnect
utility).

  Now if I can just figure out how to get useful sound from /dev/dsp...
but meanwhile I'm very impressed and happy with what can be done just
with MIDI and Xsteem. Nice work !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org

Currently listening to: "O presul vere" (Hildegard von Bingen)
--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/