[steem] TOS 2.06 Boot problem ... add-on.

  • From: "Jean-Philippe LECHENE" <jph_lechene@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:41:49 +0200

Oupps !!

 I've recently posted a message regarding a bootup problem with the TOS 2.06 under Steem 2.4 and Russell Hayward was kind enough to give me the advice of a possible infected boot sector and also to free up any cartidge inserted as well as hard disk declaration. In fact, in my last respons, I wrote that it was like a virus infection, but in fact this was just partially true :

 The boot up problem used to occur with some disks images (so in that case, the virus hypothesis is right...) as well as with the hard disk support emulation through a standard Windows subtree !
As you can guess, in such a case, the hard disk boot sector cannot be easliy infected ! ;-)

So, the solution is quite simple : this is due the file "deskicon.rsc" (which came from my Falcon). During the boot phase I suppose that the TOS 2.06 try to decode and store any icons present in that file if it found it. But I'm not aware if this TOS version is able to handle 4 bits planes icons, and at first sight, it cannot. So just rename or delete that file and everything will work again ! ;-)

This was just a precision.

Cheers,

                                      Jean-Philippe LECHENE