[steelers_pb] Re: Do you remember...

  • From: Phil Brooker <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steelers_pb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 00:19:43 -0700

The rule that allows a quarterback to snap the ball quickly to catch the defense with 12 men on the field, when one of those 12 is half a step from being off the field and won't affect the play in any way. The rule should be too many men on defense and that guy trying to run off counts only at the referee's discretion.  Was he playing defense or running off the field?

Phil

On 06/04/2021 11:04 PM, Joe Dies (Redacted sender oldsrocket455 for DMARC) wrote:

...back in the day, when a home crowd would make "too much noise"? If you don't, you're in for a surprise.

See... When a home crowd makes so much noise that the opposing team can't hear well enough to call signals, that team is in deep doo-dah. "Too loud? Tough luck, Chuck, that's why they call it Home Field Advantage."

But...

Into the early 90s, the NFL would -- I bleep you not -- penalize a team if their fans were too loud. And that's no shit; I remember this happening on multiple occasions.

Now, we all know that there are fan bases out there who can crank it up. KC, Green Bay, Cleveland (before they were Baltimore)... I'd also include Buffalo, Philly, Chicago, the Giants, Denver on a technicality, and Oakland (to hell with LA and Vegas) .

And having been to games at Three Rivers and at Heinz... I can tell you that Steeler Nation is included in this discussion.

The league realized pretty quickly that this was a great big steaming pile of BS, and discontinued the practice pretty fast. So...

Other than the Tuck Rule, what rule do you think is the greatest, steamiest pile of Horseshit the league ever put out?

Joe