[STC-Salt Lake] SBI-Associates Merger - Proposal Likely in Months

  • From: "Anup Sen, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anupsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: E-Group <stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:30:33 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify  stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

Using Internet Explorer in ATM PC of your branch, please browse
http://10.128.74.200  (our Intranet Web-Site).
We have provided lots of Reading Materials for you at the site. Happy browsing!

Dear Member,

Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

With regards,

Anup Sen, Moderator

E-Group, STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.
Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

SBI-Associates Merger: Proposal Likely in Months

Financial Express

Published on May 13, 2004

NEW DELHI, MAY 12: The merger proposal of the State Bank of India (SBI) and its seven associate banks may finally concretise by the end of the current financial year.  Speaking to FE, a senior government official stated that the proposal never took shape due to various internal problems but now with the renewed thrust on consolidation and merger in the sector, this particular proposal of merging SBI with its associate banks may see the light of the day in a few months. The associate banks of SBI include the State Bank of Patiala, Mysore, Hyderabad, Travancore and Saurashtra among others.

We will seriously look into the proposal and chalk a feasible plan to facilitate the merger. The merger is the only solution as they cannot co-exist as competitors in the market, particularly at the wake of globalisation and foreign competition, a senior finance ministry official indicated.

An SBI official pointed out that the boards of these banks have also shown an eagerness to merge with the mother entity, which will boost the banks bottomlines. The finance ministry official added merging the associate banks with SBI will be a natural process as they share the same work culture.

There would be no clash of interest among the banks, he noted. However SBI and the associate banks are expecting the unions to oppose the move. We are aware of that and we will have to tackle it, the official observed.

Meanwhile, the finance ministry is planning to set up a committee to study the consolidation and merger procedure in the banking sector. The committee will study the sector closely and then come to a possible solution to deal with this tricky issue.

The committee will also look at the possibility of merging the rural banks and set up a national rural bank to provide assistance to the rural markets, which are currently not being looked after by the bigger banks.