[ssug-malappuram] Fwd: [foss.in] KDE and Google Summer Of Code '08

  • From: "Praveen A" <pravi.a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: glugc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Malappuram SSUG" <ssug-malappuram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ssug-kollam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:14:54 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pradeepto Bhattacharya <pradeeptob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: २००८ मार्च १८ १०:५४
Subject: [foss.in] KDE and Google Summer Of Code '08
To: foss-in@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

      Its time for Google Summer of Code '08. Many of you are already
 following it. But just a reminder and a friendly poke incase you
 forgot all about it.

      Of course, KDE will be there like previous years.  Check [1] for
 more details.

       As a student, all you need is some enthusiasm, willingness to
 contribute to KDE and Free Software in general. Knowledge of C++ is
 almost taken for granted in KDE GSoC. Knowledge of Qt/KDE/PyQt
 framework and programming is a definite ( huge ) plus. If you are
 already a contributing code to some KDE application, firstly you r0ck,
 nextly you did yourself a huge favour and have HUGE PLUS-PLUS :). It
 also works if you have been sending in patches regularly. So if you
 are one of them, DO submit a proposal.

      There is a nice *idea* page on the KDE techbase page [2]. Feel
 free to browse through that and find something that you like or you
 might be able to pull off. *Strong recommendation* - Please be
 creative and write your own project proposal. Nothing impresses
 mentors more than your own enthusiasm to do something uber cool for
 the project. It is million times better if you write your own project
 proposal - may be even your own idea that is not there in the idea
 page which you think might be a cool feature / addition to KDE -
 instead of copying something from the idea page. Its a idea page after
 all and not a proposal template page ;).  Please read [3] about
 certain instructions of participations in KDE GSoC. I repeat, please
 read [3] before applying. It is very detailed and will mostly answer a
 lot of your questions and will help you frame your proposal in much
 better way.

        Last  year KDE GSoC participation [4] [5] was really
 wonderful. It got 40 projects sanctioned by Google which probably was
 the largest allocation among all the participating projects. There
 were 213 KDE proposals submitted to Google and 40 were allocated to
 KDE. 3 of those 40 students were Indians, you have ask them about
 their experiences. I am very sure that they have good things to talk
 about the same. Since I have met Piyush and Sharan many times in
 recent past after the SoC '07, I know for sure that they ( and
 Anirrudh the third guy ) loved the whole experience and had a blast.

        Looking forward to your proposal.  Good luck.

 [1]http://code.google.com/soc/2008/kde/about.html
 [2]http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2008/Ideas

[3]http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2008/Participation
 [4]http://dot.kde.org/1176336589/
 [5]http://code.google.com/soc/2007/kde/about.html

         Cheers!

 Pradeepto
 --
 The KDE Project : http://www.kde.org
 KDE India : http://in.kde.org

 ------------------------------------

 --
 The List Rules    : http://foss.in/list-rules

 The Event Site    : http://foss.in
 The Event Planet  : http://planet.foss.in
 The Event Channel : #foss.in on irc.freenode.net
 The Event List    : http://foss.in/list

 <*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

 <*> To change settings online go to: