[sparkscoffee] Re: [sparkscoffee] Trump’s Proposals for Ethics Reform

  • From: R George <xgeorge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 07:36:11 -0700

Hahaha, what "ethics"?
RG

What we’re experiencing from Trump is a daily avalanche of wrongness. The essential truth of this election cannot be conveyed with an
examination of any one particular chunk of ice. *The story is the massive accumulation of nonsense, big stuff and little stuff alike, day after day.*

*I’m now spending much of my time immersed in Trump’s dishonesty*. I’m the Washington correspondent for Canada’s Toronto Star newspaper,
and since September 15, I’ve published a daily tally—or as close to a daily tally as I can produce while also sleeping occasionally—of every false claim the
Republican presidential candidate has uttered in a speech or interview. At the end of each day or the beginning of the next, I tweet a screenshot of the list,
then publish it on our website, thestar.com.

The fewest inaccuracies I’ve heard in any day is four. The most is 25. (Twenty-five!) That doesn’t include the first two debates, at which I counted 34 and 33,
respectively. Over the course of 33 days, I counted a total of 253 (including some that repeat).
I’m not doing anything particularly innovative with what I call #TrumpCheck. Trump has been dutifully fact-checked all campaign by several others, including Politifact
and the Washington Post’s excellent Glenn Kessler and Michelle Ye Hee Lee. American readers who have bitterly joked that America’s fact-checking has been outsourced
to Canada are far too hard on their own journalists. Some of each list I make borrows from the analysis of Americans.

What I’m doing differently, though, is keeping count. Because I think the count is a story in itself. And it seems that at least some of the American electorate
agrees. The TrumpCheck lists have been more widely read, retweeted and shared than anything I’ve ever written, even the stuff I wrote about a crack-smoking mayor.
They have put me in the crosshairs of trolls who had been wonderfully unaware of my existence. And they have shown me, again, the limited power of truth to reach
people who are sure they already know it.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/one-month-253-trump-untruths-214369#ixzz4NXdGL0BQ

On 10/19/2016 6:49 AM, Ron Ristad wrote:

Trump’s “Ethics