[sparkscoffee] Re: Emailing: Scan0129

  • From: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 15:08:45 -0400

Stanley,

If you searched google and found out which think tanks agreed with you, you
would be shocked at who they were.  There are many who disagreed with this
and agreed with you.

It's easier to send the article than a scan of the article.  Here's the
article.

[image: The Miami Herald]
Posted on Sun, Aug. 31, 2014
Trade deal could cost us jobs, wages

BY DREW MARTIN & BILL EBERHARDT
district3.cwa-union.org
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=district3.cwa-union.org>
[image: MARTIN]
MARTIN
Each year, Labor Day serves as a reminder of the contributions that
American workers have made to our country’s strength, prosperity and
well-being. It falls around the time that members of Congress start to
return from recess in their districts to Washington, D.C. This Labor Day,
we want our representatives to get back to work with one thing in mind:
Their first priority must be to protect Florida’s quality of life,
including our jobs, wages, communities and environment.

Sadly, members of Congress — and the public they are supposed to represent
— are being left out of important talks about a trade deal that could end
up costing us our jobs and wages while jeopardizing our clean air and water.

That deal, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, is a massive trade pact
being negotiated behind closed doors between the United States and 11 other
countries — including Mexico, Canada, Japan and Vietnam.

Trade can be a good thing if done responsibly. But what we know from a
history of failed free-trade pacts, and from what we’ve seen in leaked
chapters of the trade text, the TPP will lead us in the wrong direction by
off-shoring our jobs, eroding our wages, gutting environmental and consumer
protections, and increasing our exposure to unsafe food.

We already know that so-called “free” trade agreements aren’t free — they
hurt jobs and wages and are deeply irresponsible. Indeed, just two past
“free” trade deals, NAFTA and China’s addition to the World Trade
Organization, resulted in a net loss of almost 135,000 Florida jobs. In
addition, when — and if — those workers got another job, their annual wages
plummeted an average $13,500. That net loss cost Florida’s economy almost
$2 billion in annual wages. The TPP will make things even worse because
we’ll be competing with corporations relocating to countries like Vietnam,
where the average minimum wage is a meager 56 cents per hour.

This agreement will allow foreign corporations to sue the United States
through international tribunals over nearly any laws that they allege would
cut into their expected future profits. That includes laws designed to
protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food on our dinner
tables. Florida’s taxpayers shouldn’t have to pay the tab to defend
American laws against foreign corporations using secret court systems.

And it gets worse. A number of groups, including AARP and Consumers Union,
wrote a letter stating that the TPP would lead to higher prescription drug
prices, placing important Medicare and Medicaid programs at risk. The
higher drug prices are the product of language in the TPP that extends the
patent monopolies held by big drug companies.

Even the food you eat is not safe. The FDA has detained hundreds of seafood
products from TPP countries due to salmonella and E. coli. The TPP will
further swamp an FDA that is only able to inspect 2 percent of seafood
imports under current conditions. If the TPP becomes a reality, more cheap
and tainted food imports are likely to make it to our shelves, sinking
Florida’s shrimping businesses that provide us with a safe and healthy
catch.

It comes as no surprise that the American people are not fooled by these
irresponsible trade agreements. According to a bipartisan poll (
fasttrackpoll.info), 62 percent of voters oppose giving President Obama
“fast track” authority over the TPP. With fast track, Congress would not be
allowed to make any changes to the deal before it’s signed. This is such a
bad deal that 43 percent of voters — including 68 percent of Republicans,
17 percent of Democrats, and 48 percent of Independents — said that they
would be less likely to vote for a member of Congress who supported fast
track.

The legislative fight over the TPP may come to a head during the lame-duck
session following the November elections, when members are expected to
introduce a new proposal for fast track.

We hope that each member of the Florida congressional delegation will join
us in the fight to protect our jobs, wages, environment, food, prescription
drugs, health and national sovereignty, and show their support for
responsible trade, by making a public commitment to oppose fast tracking
the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Drew Martin is the conservation chair of the Sierra Club’s Loxahatchee
Group. Bill Eberhardt is the Florida legislative-political coordinator for
the Communications Workers of America.

© 2014 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miamiherald.com

Read more here:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/31/v-print/4317187/trade-deal-could-cost-us-jobs.html#storylink=cpy

David