[sparkscoffee] DMARC

  • From: R George <xgeorge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, aranet <aranet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 21:23:27 -0700

I received a reply from freelists.org and they say they have it fixed.
If this is the case then there is no need for Yahoo/Aol subscribers to
move to another email provider.
RG

On 05/01/2014 12:59 PM, xgeorge@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Should I tell my Yahoo/Aol subscribers to change email providers so
> they can continue to receive freelists mailing lists? I see listserve
> has a fix: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/04/prweb11780898.htm

*Yes, we implemented a fix for this gradually over the last two weeks.**
**
**John # FreeLists: Free mailing lists for all: //www.freelists.org*

Repeated in case you missed it earlier:
RG

It's happening, according to email expert John Levine, because Yahoo & AOL implemented a change that basically tells all recipients, including Hotmail, Gmail, etc., to reject any mail originating from a Yahoo.com or AOL.com address if it fails certain tests. In this case, the test is that the sender email address domain must match the domain of the server actually sending the email --- which isn't necessarily the case if people use mailing lists or other software to send email for them, rather than using the Yahoo.com or Aol.com
STMP servers themselves.

So, the problem applies to anyone using a Yahoo.com or Aol.com sending address to participate in a mailing list that uses other servers.

In a discussion on the Internet Engineering Task Force's email list --- the IETF is a non-profit body that sets Internet technological standards --- Levine said that this method of email authentication, called DMARC, works well for some situations, such as for large enterprises:

For other kinds of mail it works less great, because like every mail security system, it has an implicit model of the way mail is delivered that is similar but not identical to the way mail is actually delivered.... Mailing lists are a particular weak spot for DMARC. Lists invariably use their own bounce address in their own domain, so the SPF [sender policy framework] doesn't match.