[sotd] September 27, 2002 [Chocolate]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:47:01 -0300

        Site of the Day for Friday, September 27, 2002

        Chocolate -- Exploratorium

"More than a food, but less than a drug"

From those interesting folks at the Exploratorium comes another great
website on a subject that's hard to get too much of -- chocolate.

"This special online-only edition of Exploring takes a closer look at the
sweet lure of chocolate. We'll examine the fascinating -- and often
misreported -- history of chocolate, follow the chocolate-making process,
and take an online visit to a chocolate factory. We'll also look at the
science of chocolate, and find out about the latest research into the
possible health effects of its consumption. Lastly, we'll explore the
somewhat controversial question of why chocolate make us feel so good." -
from the website

The site includes sections covering chocolate in the Amazon rainforest, the
American connection -- the Olmecs, the Mayans and Aztecs, chocolate invades
and conquers Europe, as well as health help or risk -- chocolate and heart
disease. A selection of tempting links to other chocolate websites is
located in the site's bibliography.

There is no mention of cacao beans from regions of the world with high
levels of air pollution with lead contaminates, in case some gentle members
were wondering.

Salivate to the website for an inviting confection of chocolate information
at:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/exploring_chocolate/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>