[sotd] 11 Ways Technology is Helping to Save Endangered Species [August 29, 2012]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:05:25 -0300

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, August 29, 2012

        11 Ways Technology is Helping to Save Endangered Species

Today's site, from Webecoist, outlines a number of positive contributions
technology is making to assist in the protection of species at risk. Gentle
Subscribers, imbued with western civilization's unbounded confidence in the
ability of science to find solutions, will enjoy this upbeat report.

"Unchecked human activity has destroyed animal habitats and disturbed the
delicate balance of many ecosystems, reducing the populations of many
species near the point of extinction. Our roads, farms, factories,
pollution and poaching have caused undeniable harm to animals -- now it's
time we use the fruits of our progress to help them. Here are 11
fascinating and uplifting ways in which modern technology is aiding the
conservation efforts of species that are disappearing all too quickly." -
from the website

In characteristic Webecoist style, this report offers photos and text to
highlight the diverse ways technology is being used in efforts to save
imperiled species. From the world famous Tasmanian devil, whose numbers
have been shockingly reduced by a species specific disease, to the
magnificent Asian tiger, perpetually under threat by human poachers,
innovative tracking methods -- some originating from developments in
astrophysics -- and disease mitigation procedures -- genetic sequencing --
are helping to stave off extinction. For each species, a link to additional
information has been provided.

Hop over to the site for a brief roundup of technology's endeavors on
behalf of threatened species at:

http://webecoist.com/2011/09/19/11-ways-technology-is-helping-to-save-endang
ered-species/

If the above URL wraps in your e-mail client, enter it all on one line in
your browser or use this TinyURL:

http://tinyurl.com/3sce27p

  A.M. Holm
  Comments? Suggestions?  <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>