April 2003 Computer Software Education & Training Newsletter

  • From: "Scott Turton-EducationOnlineForComputers.com" <scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: softwaretrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 12 Apr 2003 23:59:14 -0700

       Newsletter for Computer Software Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

          *** ISSUE #2 - April 2003 ***

     http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in early May, 2003 on the web at
     http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com/newsletter2.html

     Newsletter Archives will be here:
     http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com/newsletter.html

     Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... Best New Free Microsoft Office Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver & FrontPage Training

4)... Best New Free Web Development Training Sites

5)... Best New Free Windows, Linux, Hardware & Computer Training

6)... Software, Office and Computer Sites Worth Mentioning

7)... Question of the Month about Software Training

8)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Hello everyone, and welcome to our very first edition of this
newsletter!

This is our second monthly Newsletter for our new site,
EducationOnlineForComputers.com, giving you the most current Free
online Software Training and Tutorial Resources that we have
recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free to
anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no username/password
is needed). To access our member site, however, you do need a
user name and password - registering as a member of
EducationOnlineForComputers.com costs only $14 for two months,
for more information please see below 'Become a Member of
EducationOnlineForComputers.com'.

My desire is that these free resources will help you with your
computer education and training and are tools to advance your
career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate
who are seeking to become computer literate, from a user's
perspective.

This issue describes a total of 24 Software and Computer
training, learning and tutorial web sites, with a total of 52
tutorial courses linked. By means of this email newsletter, you
have knowledge of and access to these sites before our web site
visitors do. The best of these resources will be added to our
Member Training pages and the remainder to our Free Training
pages.

*** Current News ***

For your convenience, this newsletter is also available to
subscribers in HTML format at this special url:
http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com/current_news.html

If you are looking for free technical or programming training,
please visit our sister site, http://www.intelinfo.com.

I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
Newsletter and Web Site Editor
scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

Please Visit One of Our Sponsors and request more information -
doing this enables us to bring you these great free computer and
software training resources every month:

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

Westwood College of Technology:
http://yarnas.com/clk/menweizhoubingzhen

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

Free to Sell - The Ultimate eBook! (lowest price on the web):
http://www.intelinfo.com/free_to_sell.html

"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power
 - With Free Online Computer Training!"

*** Become a Member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com ***
http://tinyurl.com/7ien

Our Members' Site contains the web's best Microsoft Office and
other software training resources and tutorials. This content is
individually linked and presented in a way to expedite and
facilitate your computer learning experience. We have done all
the web research and presentation work for you so you can
concentrate solely on your computer training. For short FAQ
Answers, please see the end of this newsletter.

The total price to join as a member is only $14 total for 2
months, $24 for 4 months, $32 for 6 months, or $56 for a whole
year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking computer education and application end-user training.
Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and
to sign up: http://tinyurl.com/7ien

Get tons of Free Office Forms and Templates:
http://tinyurl.com/7ibm

Here's another special bonus for you: if you have a web site and
want to increase it's traffic by 50%, we'll show you how - Click
on this link to sign up at the best free traffic generator on the
web today: http://tinyurl.com/4i2x

2)  The Best New Free Microsoft Office Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new Free
Microsoft Office training and tutorial sites that we have found
and researched in the last few weeks.

Microsoft Office 2000 is a software suite that consists of
different applications that perform various activities. MS Office
2000 is by far the most widely recognized software suite in the
world.

Free Microsoft Office Interactive Video Lessons:
http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/index.html

Learn to use Microsoft Office with Free interactive lessons by
Ustudy.org, here they are:

  Video 1: Starting a Microsoft Office Program (897 Kb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task1.html

  Video 2: Selecting Menu Commands (463 Kb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task2.html

  Video 3: Using Toolbars (0.98 Mb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task3.html

  Video 4: Using Shortcut Menus (318 Kb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task4.html

  Video 5: Getting Help (565 Kb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task5.swf

  Video 6: Switching between open programs (875 Kb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task6.html

  Video 7: Exiting a program (342 Kb):
  http://www.ustudy.org/training/microsoftofficeflash/task7.html

Microsoft Office Quick References from Byu.edu:

  Word 2000 Quick Reference:
  http://it.byu.edu/docs/Qref/word.pdf

  Excel 2000 Quick Reference:
  http://it.byu.edu/docs/Qref/excel.pdf

  Outlook 2000 Quick Reference:
  http://it.byu.edu/docs/Qref/outlook.pdf

  PowerPoint 2000 Quick Reference:
  http://it.byu.edu/docs/Qref/ppoint.pdf

MS Office Tutorials by Tutorialbox.com:

  Word Tutorial:
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/off2000/word/index.html

  Excel Tutorial:
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/off2000/excel/index.html

  PowerPoint Tutorial:
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/off2000/ppt/index.html

  Access Tutorial:
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/off2000/access/index.html

Office 2000 Tutorials from Microsoft:

Creating Online Presentations with PowerPoint:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=PptTutorial
Learn how to easily create a presentation with PowerPoint and add
graphics and Excel files to your slides to make them visually and
content rich.

-----------------

Analyzing Data with Microsoft Excel:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=ExcelTutorial
Learn how to:
- Gather real-world data from different sources, including text
files, databases, and the Web
- Use PivotTables and PivotCharts to ask questions of complex
data
- Save your analysis as an interactive Web page

-----------------

Analyzing Data Using Access:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=AccessTutorial
Learn how to:
- Create a database to store and analyze your data
- Use queries to organize and simplify large quantities of data
- Format and customize data for printing by using reports
- Create Web pages to display the contents of your queries and
reports

-----------------

Collaborating with Others Using Outlook and Exchange:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=OutlookExchTutorial
Learn how to:
- Improve communication and organization by using the features of
Microsoft Outlook
- Use public folders to share information efficiently
- Use e-mail effectively to communicate with colleagues and
students
- Use the Outlook Calendar to better organize your time

-----------------

Managing Your Time Using Outlook:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=OutlookTutorial
Learn how to:
- Use Outlook Today for an always current, at-a-glance view of
your day
- Schedule meetings for times when attendees are available using
Plan a Meeting
- Stay on top of your "to do" list by creating and assigning
tasks
- Flag a message and set a date for follow up
- Use the Journal to keep track of your work day

-----------------

Word and the Writing Process:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=WordTutorial
Learn how to:
- Begin a new writing project with Microsoft Word
- Use the document map and outline view to help you organize your
work into logical sections
- Use Word as a powerful, collaborative, process-oriented writing
tool
- Save your document as a Web page and use a Web for discussions
to develop the topic
- Add comments to a document, keep track of changes, and save
evolving versions of your work

3) The Best New Free Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and FrontPage
Training Sites

FrontPage, Dreamweaver and Photoshop Tutorials by
Tutorialbox.com:

  FrontPage Tutorial:
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/off2000/frontpage/index.html

  Dreamweaver Tutorial (15 pages):
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/dreamw.pdf

  Photoshop Tutorial:
  http://www.tutorialbox.com/tutors/photoshop/PhotoTut.HTML

Training Presentations:
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/presentations/presentations.shtml

Download and expand the course files before proceeding, then
download and print the handouts. Here are the training materials:

  Web Authoring with Macromedia Dreamweaver:
  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/dreamweaver/dw.shtml

  Site Management with Dreamweaver:
  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/sitemgtdw/

  Beyond Basic Page Elements with Dreamweaver:
  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/advdw/

  Editing Images with Adobe Photoshop:
  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/photoshop/ps.shtml

  Intermediate Photoshop Techniques:
  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/intps/index.shtml

  Adobe PDF for Electronic Publishing:
  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/atc/materials/FLEX/pdf/

As Simple As Photoshop: Animated Adobe Photoshop Tutorials:
http://digicollage.com/asap/

These two help-books of the ASAP series are offered to you
absolutely free.

  The Concepts shows you around Photoshop and covers PS interface
  and general work principles:
  http://digicollage.com/asap/2/download.php?title=Concepts

  All The Tools is a comprehensive Photoshop Toolbox reference,
  showing you the purpose and work principle of any Photoshop
  tool:
  http://digicollage.com/asap/2/download.php?title=Tools

Todd's Dreamweaver MX Tutorial for Smarties:

  Beginner Version:
  http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/roadmap/Dreamweaver/tutorial1.htm

  Intermediate Version:
  http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/roadmap/Dreamweaver/tutorial2.htm

Using Flash 5:
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/mscmm/2001/int_auth/using_flash_5.pdf

This is a great 380 page guide on how to use Flash.

Flash 5 Visual QuickStart Guide Readings:
http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/lecture.html

This page has the following training material for Flash 5:

  Flash Editing Environment, Creating Simple Graphics:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash1.html

  Modifying Simple Graphics, Complex Graphics On A Single Layer:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash2.html

  Graphics On Multiple Layers, Saving & Reusing Graphic Elements,
  and  Using Non-Flash Graphics:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash3.html

  Frame-By-Frame Animations, Animation With Motion Tweening,
  and Animation With Shape Tweening:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash4.html

  More Complex Animation Tasks, Interactivity With Simple
  Frame Actions:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash5.html

  Interactivity With Objects, Introducing Complex Interactivity:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash6.html

  Adding Sound To Your Movies:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash7.html

  Delivering Movies To Your Audience:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/flash8.html

  Digital Audio for Multimedia Projects:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/audio.html

  Flash Dragables:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/dragnotes.html

  Create a scrolling text box in Flash:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/scroller.html

4) The Best New Free Web Development Training Sites

Web Site Development Lectures:
http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/lecture.html

This page has the following training material for HTML and Web
Design:

  Basic HTML tags:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/tags.html

  Optimizing Web Graphics:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/graphics.html

  Web Alignment Techniques & Horizontal Rules:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/align.html

  Using HTML Tables for Web Page Layout:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/tables.html

  Frame-based Layouts:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/frames.html

  Creating Ordered/Unordered Lists & Named Anchors:
  http://art.sdsu.edu/courses/stringfellow/art444/lists.html

MSC Multimedia Systems Online Course:
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/mscmm/2002/lectures.htm
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/mscmm/2001/lectures2001.htm
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/mscmm/2000/lecturenotes.htm

These are excellent lecture notes and guides for Interactive
Authoring, HTML, Video Capture, Image Processing, Director,
Flash, and Midi. (Powerpoint format).

5) The Best New Free Windows, Linux, Hardware and General
Computer Training Sites

The Expert Guide to Microsoft Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/reader/includes/ExpertGuidetoMicrosoftWindowsXP.lit

This is a Free eBook teaching you all about Windows XP. You'll
need Microsoft Reader to access it:
http://www.microsoft.com/reader/default.asp

Basic Windows Tutorials:
http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windows/
http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windowsxp/

These free tutorials will help you understand aspects of Windows
that are often overlooked in many learning materials. They are
designed to be informative and practical, explaining what things
do, and how you do them.

  Microsoft Windows 98 (57 tutorials):
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/viewlets/windows98/

  What Is Windows?:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windows/whatis.shtml

  Windows Folders and Directories:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/directory/

  How to Find Files on your computer:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/findfiles/

  Install an Operating System (Windows):
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/buildpc/

  List of Windows Keyboard Shortcuts:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/winshortcuts/

  Bytes and Kilobytes: Understanding File Sizes:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windows/filesize1.shtml

  How to Back Up your Hard Drive:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windows/backup1.shtml

  Keyboard Functions in Windows:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windows/keyboard1.shtml

  Using Character Map:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/quick/charmap/index.html

  Windows Registry Tips and Tricks:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/registry/

  Introduction to the Windows XP Interface & Desktop:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windowsxp/desktop.html

  What are the Information Bubbles that Popup Occasionally?:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windowsxp/desktop.html

  Windows XP Automatic Updates:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windowsxp/autoupdates.html

  Make Windows XP Look Like Windows ME or Windows 2000:
  http://www.learnthat.com/courses/computer/windowsxp/w2k.html

Getting Started with Linux:
http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the
fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is
follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no
time. Getting Started with Linux is designed as a self-study
course.

Computer Basics:
http://www.multcolib.org/seniors/seniors/tutorials/basics/

Learn about the parts that make up a computer, what software is,
how to use the mouse, and some simple terms.

Internet Basics:
http://www.multcolib.org/seniors/seniors/tutorials/internet/

Learn what the Internet is, how to sign up for e-mail, and how to
search for information on the web.

6) Software, Office and Computer Sites and Downloads Worth
Mentioning

rjhExtensions:
http://www.rjhsoftware.com/rjhextensions

This is an excellent free utility program that adds eight handy
commands to the pop-up menu whenever you right-click a file or
folder in Windows. The available commands are: Print directory
list; Save directory list; Encrypt and Decrypt files; Shred files
to erase them completely; Duplicate a file; Copy a file's path to
the clipboard; Open a DOS window in the currently selected
folder; and Rename batches of files.

Webshots:
http://www.webshots.com/

From this site you can download an application that controls your
wallpaper and loads a screen saver which shows a slide show of
all your webshots wallpaper collection.  The wallpaper can be
configured to show a calendar in the upper right hand corner of
the screen. You receive six wallpapers with the application, but
you can add more from their collections in many categories from
Renaissance art to Mountains to Sport Heroes to Cats. There are
also thousands of user posted wallpapers in webshot format.

7) Question of the Month about Software Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer a current or important
question that we have received about computer and software
training.

April 2003 Question: What resources does Microsoft provide for
learning and getting help with Microsoft Office?

Answer: Here are some of the best support and help sites that
Microsoft offers for Office:

Office 2000 Suite Support Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/default.asp?SD=SO&PR=ofw2k

Office XP Suite Support Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ID=FH;EN-US;offxp

Microsoft Office Newsgroups to ask questions and get answers:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=prod_office

Updates/Addins/Tips/How-to/Downloads:
http://office.microsoft.com

MS Graphics and Clipart:
http://dgl.microsoft.com

I hope this helps you.

Scott Turton
http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

8) Please Support Our Training Mission

http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

How You Can Support Our Computer and Software Training Mission

Please help support EducationOnlineForComputers.com's Computer
and Sofware Education and Training Mission by visiting our
sponsors below and requesting more information. By doing so, you
will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an
Information Technology career.

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?
http://iashel.com/clk/guntuanglangan

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

Free to Sell - The Ultimate eBook!
(lowest price on the web)
http://www.intelinfo.com.com/free_to_sell.html

Search for IT Training:
http://tinyurl.com/4133

Computer Colleges:
http://tinyurl.com/4132

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your
convenience
http://wesac.com/clk/solfglurtmataftatz

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.
http://gartum.com/clk/yadenibonkiryudaibon

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

EducationOnlineForComputers.com
http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com

Free Computer Software Training Now!

A free and member-based software educational and training portal
web site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked
many sites that will be of keen interest to computer software
application end-users seeking free training and knowledge. Many
subject areas are covered, including Microsoft Office, Flash,
Photoshop, Dreamwever, FrontPage, Web Development, Windows,
Linux, and Computer Hardware. You are able to study and learn all
about computer software via Free training, courses, tutorials,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Check us out
today.

Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked
are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are
expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices.
Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a
copyright notice is present.

*** EducationOnlineForComputers.com's Member Site ***
http://tinyurl.com/7ien

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer software
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your
software and computer learning experience. We have done all the
web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate
solely on your computer training.

EducationOnlineForComputers.com Member Site FAQ Answers:

1. All of the web sites and pages in our members site are not in
the free section of our web site. The member site training is
more detailed and the best available. The online training
resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much
more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will
save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.

2. If you use a credit card when joining, it will be billed by
2Checkout.com or Paypal.com. The vendor on your statement will be
"EducOnl4Comp". When your membership period expires, you will be
asked if you want to renew your membership, you will not be
automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check,
unless you request it when you register.

3. The total price to join our member's site is only $14 total
for 2 months, $24 for 4 months, $32 for 6 months, or $56 for a
whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking software application education training. Here's the link
to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up:
http://tinyurl.com/7ien
You can email Scott Turton with questions at
scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will give you 5 Great Free Bonuses when you sign up now.

These are as follows:

1. 28 Modules of Soft Skills Training, covering topics such as
Coaching, Delegating, Finance Essentials, Hiring, Leading and
Motivating Team, Making a Presentation, Managing Your Time, and
Setting Goals.

2. 19 Online Business and Reference Books, including titles such
as Scientific Advertising, The Art of Electronic Publishing, and
Small Business Manual

3. 12 Instructive e-Books, including On Line Stealth Marketing, 7
Secrets to Unlimited Traffic, and Increase Auction Profits.

4. Instant and Easy Online Access to the 24 Best Free Computer
Help & Support Sites.

5. 45 of the Best, Completely Free Programs and Utilities.

Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
educationonlineforcomputers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(You will need to reply to a confirming email.)

Or go to this web page and use the subscribe form:
http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(no need to confirm)

Or simply go to this web page and use the unsubscribe form:
http://www.educationonlineforcomputers.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

Thank You!