[soapcraft] Re: sodium lactate

  • From: "Liz Brook" <liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:44:07 +1300

Gina, it was mentioned years ago on The Dish forum.  I was sooooo sick of
lining moulds - it took me longer to line moulds than to make the soap.

After researching and checking with a company here in NZ (it is difficult to
find), the lovely gentleman suggested I use potassium lactate as it was much
milder and I would achieve the same outcome.  No need to line my formica moulds
and as a bonus would contribute to the hardness of my bars.  The forum
suggested it would decrease lather and scent - it does, but not so much that it
matters.

It takes so little - had a bit of experimenting to do when first using.  Use
too much and you will get chalky white crumbly bars.

I also have one of those clear plastic divider thingies.  I used the mould and
perspex dividers once and haven't used them again.  Got from Aussie.  Maybe I
will try again.

Welcome Maggie - lovely to hear from you.

Welcome lurkers - please join in!

Well it is a soaping day and must get on with it!  Have a good day all.

Liz