[soapcraft] Gina's Soap

  • From: Ross Spencer <galahad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:02:47 +1300

Gina's Soap

Lavender and lemongrass

Initial impression was that it was professionally presented and looked so
creamy.  I don't normally like grooved soaps but this looked good.  Nice
sharp edges as I prefer a nice square edge or rough cut soap (don't like
round soap shapes and bevelled edges - might be a guy thing!)

Packaging

Packaging looked nice and clean and you could see what you were getting.
The label gave the information I needed but IMO a little bit clinical.  A
name or something would be great so I could get an impression of what the
soap was instantly (especially if there is a large selection) rather than
searching through the ingredients - something like "Lavender and lemongrass"
in bold or title format would be enough.

I initially thought the bar was quite small (not sure if this is the regular
size Gina sells) but on reflection it is a pretty good size (depending on
the price, of course)

Pre Shower Impressions

I took a whiff just as I opened the packaging.  Normally, I run from
lemongrass but this smelled great.  I kind of got an orange and caramel
scent from it.  Weird, huh?

Texture was smooth and waxy.  Feels like quite a soft bar but I don't think
it really is.  Time will tell.

I am fairly wary of inclusions in soap but the sprinkle of oats (?) just
under the surface of the top gave interest value without being OTT

Overall impression was that this was a luxurious and special product.  Can't
wait to try it out.

Had a second smell and I waivered between yum and not so sure.  I am sure it
is just the lemongrass!

As with all my soap, I cut off a small bit to use in the shower and it was
nice and solid to cut without being hard.

In The Shower

This bar is harder than expected which is great as I like a nice hard soap
bar (plus they last longer).

The scent was OK but just not my thing.  I would certainly be interested in
the same formula with a different scent.  The scent didn't linger on my skin
which I like unless it is leathery or smoky so it didn't interfere with my
Black Phoenix perfumes.

Good lather and washed off easily with no obvious residue.

No colour leakage due to the natural or pale colouring.

Overall Impressions

An impressive soap.  Beautifully presented with good performance in the
shower.  My only issues were perceived size and scent.

Ross Spencer

24 Ocean View Place

Rakaia Huts

RD3 Leeston