[soapcraft] Re: Colouring

  • From: "John & Annette" <tupalms@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:56:33 +1000

Hi everyone, My name is Annette, I live in Brisbane and have been soaping for about 10 yrs +. I soap just for the enjoyment of it, not for business or anything. I just made a herbal and a Lemon Myrtle soap today. I usually have regular oils I like to soap (Olive, Coconut, Shea, & Ricebran) but have run out of shea so I made these two batches with Olive, Coconut & Beeswax, sort of a Castile type soaps. w/- the herbal one I added Brambleberry fragrance called Sweetgrass, mixed with abit of pimento, bay, juniperberry, cabrueva, hydachieum essential oils and a touch of blackpepper fragrance. Don't ask me about the Cabrueva & Hydachieum, I think they were freebies with an order once. Anyway it all smells very fresh with a hint of spice. the Olive oil I used was green so I didn't have to change much with the colour so just added some green clay. the soap is very hard already, I cant wait to try it. I always like to add some dried lemon myrtle leaves to my L.M soaps as I think it adds a nice look as well as holding the fragrance.

For Pauline, I have tried colouring with herbs, clays, oxides, mica's and liquid colours over the years, and I would personally say that its better if you experiment. It depends on the soap you are making and what you want it to look like re: Natural, bright, modern,fresh etc. Personally I like the feel that the clays give to the soap, oxides depending on the quality can sometimes not dissolve completely, could be just me too! liquids are easy to work with. At the moment I am into the more natural looking soap. Also not sure if I read that right but if you don't want to have a brown coffee coloured soap then you can add some titanium dioxide to dye it whitish. Well that's been my soap pot for today. Cheers Annette:-)