[smee] A journey of 26.2 miles has begun with a single step....

  • From: Jo Carter <jcarter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Fletcher Brehler <fletcherbrehler@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Joy Godesiabois <jgodesiabois@xxxxxxxxx>,"Julie A. Goldston" <jgoldsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,m kalal <mkalal@xxxxxxx>, Mark <ptask1@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"V. M. Brasseur" <brasseur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Yoni Fridman <fridman@xxxxxxxxxx>,Andrew Megowan <swing_demon@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Anna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,Blake Campbell <blake.campbell@xxxxxxxxx>, bouchers@xxxxxxxxx,Brad Ellingboe <brell@xxxxxxx>,Caroline & Trefor Rutherford <nutgrove@xxxxxxx>,CJ Mack <raingod@xxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Drennan <djdrennan@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Dave Payne <dsp@xxxxxxxxx>, Debi Pierson <debi109@xxxxxxxx>,Denise Staples <tahstaples@xxxxxxx>, dharaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,Ed Sitver <esitver@xxxxxxxxx>, Elaine Borrelli <borrelli@xxxxxxx>,Elise McHugh <clownmender6@xxxxxxxxx>,John Wheeler <john.k.wheeler@xxxxxxx>,Sterling Udell <sterling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Jeremy Pease <pease3@xxxxxxxx>, Jon Fisher <fisher_jon@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Renee Gentry <rjagentry@xxxxxxxxx>, Shaun Gilpin <shauntom@xxxxxxxx>,eric andrews <egmax98@xxxxxxxxx>,Caroline & Trefor Rutherford <nutgrove@xxxxxxx>, smee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:24:18 -0700

Are you sitting down?  I've begun training to walk a marathon to benefit
the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Yup, on June 19th, I'll hopefully be
in Anchorage, Alaska, walking my little feet off.  That's 26.2 miles and
about 55,000 steps, all over the course of 7 solid hours of walking.

I haven't lost my mind, despite what you may think.  Yes, I know it's a
big, hairy goal, but I'm taking on this project in a sensible way and
for a good cause!  By joining LLS's Team in Training program, I have a
coach, a team, training schedules, clinics, and a reason that makes this
more than a personal goal -- I'm helping to raise funds for leukemia
research & patient support.

I didn't know much about leukemia until my Uncle Buddy died from it last
year, and yet it's a huge problem.  Unfortunately, it's still the
leading fatal disease for kids.  But the fight is progressing -- just 40
years ago, only 5% of kids with leukemia survived; today, that number is
up to 80%.  This is an area of medical research where huge strides can
be made, but these researchers need our support to make it happen.  If
you want more info, take a look at www.leukemia-lymphoma.org.

Over the course of the next three and a half months, I'll be walking
about a marathon-distance per week in order to prepare.  I've also
committed to raising $4,700 to support the good work that LLS does --
and I'm writing to ask for your support.  I'm asking for help from about
200 people, and if everyone can give just $25, my goal will be met.  If
you can donate more, I will of course be delighted by your generosity!
All donors will receive my profuse thanks, periodic updates on my
progress, and a photo of exhausted Jo at the finish line.

Though my marathon doesn't happen until June, I need to have most of the
money raised by April 13th.  Your tax-deductible contribution, sent as
soon as possible, is greatly appreciated.  TO DONATE, just e-mail a
check to me at PO Box 304, USAFA, CO  80840.  If you'd rather, I can
also accept credit card numbers -- drop me an e-mail at this address and
we'll work out the details.  If you have any questions, I'd be delighted
to talk to you about this -- Vic's getting tired of listening to my spiel!

Wish me luck, stay in touch, and I'll talk to you soon.

Jo