[smartvisionau] Need clarification re Micro USB host adapter (apparently required in order to use BRLTTY on Android with Braille display via USB instead of bluetooth)

  • From: Vivien Palcic <vivienpalcic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: smartvisionau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:22:08 +0800

Hi list,

I was hoping to try using BRLTTY with my Brailliant BI 40 connected via USB to my Kapsys Smartvision 2 phone. I'm needing clarification as to the cable I need, as I've only ever connected via bluetooth.

The below is pasted from the BRLTTY On Android documentation, specifically the heading "Connecting Via USB", found at:

https://brltty.app/doc/Android.html#connecting-via-usb

*Begin pasted text*

Connecting Via USB
In order to use a USB braille device, you'll need a special cable known as a "Micro USB Host Adapter". The reason for this is that the USB port on an Android device usually acts as a "device" (rather than as a "host") port. This is so that, for example, you can control your Android device from your computer. The Micro USB Host Adapter has a special plug, known as an OTG (on-the-go) connector, that, when inserted into the Android device's USB port, instructs Android to act as the USB host.
The Micro USB Host Adapter also allows you to connect any other USB device (keyboard, mouse, printer, hub, etc) to your Android device. Be aware, though, that if any such device, including your braille device, draws power via its USB port then your Android device's battery will become the source of that power. If portability isn't an issue, you may wish to consider using your Micro USB Host Adapter to connect your Android device to a powered hub so that your USB devices will draw power from the hub rather than from your Android device's battery. You may also wish to consider disabling USB charging on any devices that offer this capability.

*End pasted text*

So I'm still not sure if I would need something like the UNITEK (Y-C473BK) 1 Meter (USB-C "Type-C" Male to MicroUSB Male) Cable:

https://www.msy.com.au/online/usb-cables-devices/2291-unitek-

y-c473bk-1-meter-usb-c-type-c-male-to-microusb-male-cable.html

or is the Micro-USB end the Female end, and would something like this item be suitable:

https://www.msy.com.au/online/other-usb-or-non-usb-converters-devices-converters-adapters/2362-unitek-y-a027arg-usb-c-male-to-microusb-female-converter-adaptor.html

Regards

Vivien

To post to SmartVisionAU, send email to: SmartVisionAU@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Replies to emails on this list will go to the list by default.
General information about the list,ways to join, leave and set options is at: //www.freelists.org/list/SmartVisionAU