[slint] Re: Emacspeak failing to initialize

  • From: "Ishe Chinyoka" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("chinyoka.consultant")
  • To: slint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:24:40 +0200

Hi Jude,

Thanks for the advice. Actually, what I do is that as I have customized
my emacs over the years, I use the recommended ~/.emacs.d/initiate.el.

So when I do switch-on emacspeak or switch-on speechd-el, slint
generates a ~/.emacs file.. While that file makes emacs starts with the
chosen speech package, I usually copy everything from that generated
file into the ~/.emacs.d/initiate.el at the top of that file. In fact,
as slint has both speechd-el and emacspeak, I have developed a habit of
just commenting out the other speech package for the meantime. for
example, if I am not using speechd-el, I prepend all the lines
initializing speechd-el with the semicolons. Inversely, I also just
comment out the line (load-file ...) with the semicolon and uncomment
the other speech package.

Otherwise, right now the fixed emacspeak works as expected, so I no
longer use my custom compiled one in the ~/opt directory. Still, I have
a feeling that the bug is upstream somehow as I said, emacspeak cannot
run outside the home directory even on Arch. I tried installing
emacspeak-git using yay, but it failed. So right now, the functional
emacspeak is on slint.

Thanks,

Ishe

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 12:39 PM Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Check the line placement of the line that gets emacspeak talking in the
.emacs file if that's what's being used. The line that goes into .emacs
if that's what's being used to get
emacspeak talking needs to go in close to the top of the file if you have
connected to package repositories the line needs to be just after the code
that connects you to those repositories. If the .emacs has no connection
to package repositories the line that makes emacspeak speak ought to be
the first line in the .emacs file.