[sleafordbka] Starvation

  • From: Steve Pickard <mr.steve.pickard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sleafordbka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:14:16 +0100

Hi all

Quick heads up to my fellow novices.  While the sight of fields of OSR is
nice and reassuring, the recent cold weather has meant a) bees cannot get
out far to forage, and b) OSR will not be producing nectar.  Just because
you may see a lot of pollen coming in doesn't mean they have stores to
spare.

I took advantage of the mild afternoon to bunk off work and do my first
inspection for over two weeks.  Relived not to see any queen cells, but
there was precious little stores in any of the three hives.  I've put in
some winter stored frames and some pollen patties which will see them
through for a few days until I can get to taking off the supers and putting
on the contact feeders (assuming this cold weather continues).

I'd strongly recommend if you are not confident of hefting you check your
hives out for stores at the first opportunity.

Hope this helps some of you, and doesn't irritate the others!

Steve