[sleafordbka] Re: Robbing

  • From: Ayla Todd <ayla.todd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sleafordbka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sleafordbka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:54:14 +0100

You are right in saying that weak colonies will be easy targets for robbing
bees.  Try a lean to screen tomorrow, if you can, at both hive entrances (keep
the reduced entrances as well).  If that doesn't work well enough, then your
only option will be to move them but you must remember the moving rule - less
than 3 feet or more than 3 miles or they will simply return to the old site and
die there.

Seems like your field would not be big enough.  Do you have a friend living
over 3 miles away who could accomodate your hives for a couple of months?  Or,
perhaps, another SBKA member who could offer the same?

Again, good luck, this isn't an easy cure situation!

Pam

Sent from my iPad