[sleafordbka] Bee's Starving - Reveiw of Bee Inspector Visit

  • From: martin robinson <martinrobinson26@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Beekeeping <Sleafordbka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:30:41 +0100 (BST)

Ladies & Gents,

Bee's on the brink.
Most seasoned beekeepers will tell you this is a bad year for beekeeping, I am
glad its not my first year. Having had the pleasure of escorting Andy Wattam
around as a statutory inspection of my hives this sunny morning - it became
apparent that I am being led into a sense of false security. The bee's bless
them, are working hard - however there are not enough stores in place, most
were ok but some are quite light in comparison to some of my other stocks. They
have all built up well and when confined are chomping through the reserves at a
great rate as their numbers swell  (2.5 kg per week on average). Remember a
hive will need in excess of 20-30  kg of stores to see them through the
winter period  (imagine a super full). It was also advised to start and think
about varroa treatments - especially if  two are to done in good time, given
the varying temps we are experiencing; action is needed now. It was a most
enjoyable morning with the inspector
 and I would personally encourage more people to take up the offer of an
inspection, as I learnt a few good tips along the way. Beebase has some
great resources on beekeeping and I have utilised it a good few time now, just
be prepared, remember next seasons starts now.

Remember dont let your livestock starve...for the sake of a jar of honey. Enjoy
the bee's and the good weather.

As an aside,  please be advised that a fellow bee keeper in the Lincoln
area has reported a medium sized van loitering around his apairy site, just be
on your guard as stocks are at a premium.

Regards Martin Robinson