[slackintosh-users] Re: quick hardware status summary? slackintosh returns ;-)

  • From: Mirko Vogt <mirko-vogt@xxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:47:18 +0200

Jason Byrne wrote:

Hi,

Nice to see slackintosh alive & kicking again...

A few questions...

How well does the latest generation of iBooks or Powerbooks work in
Linux PPC land these days?

Video... accelerated?  Radeon 9550 Mobility support?  I remember Michel
Danzer (Debian) was doing stuff for PPC DRI/3D a while back... haven't
checked status lately.

Airport extreme... still a sad Broadcom story?
Sound... ALSA still good for latest hardware?

FYI... I was running slackintosh as a base on an iBook G3 900 for quite
a while... 2.4.x kernel, MOL w/MacOS 9.1, 10.2, etc... and the iBook
had an unfortunate accident (RIP)... and would love to pick up another
iBook if linux ppc is doing reasonably well supporting the hardware.

(really not into Mac OS 8.x/9.x/X or Macs in general... but the iBook
G3 was pretty much the perfect linux laptop in 12" with a little bit of
know-how)

Thanks,
- Jason

I think Airport Extreme is the only "bad" think of the new Books. And an external monitor... - yeah it will work if you have a lot of time ;)